Water Trying To Escape

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lari

Reaction score
ok, so i havent done BIAB in years, decided to do quick stovetop batch. lined my kettle with a bag, filled with water and left it to heat to strike temp. few minutes later came back to inspect and found that water was trying to escape from the top. now in the pictures it doesnt look so bad but few minutes after that my whole kitchen countertop was cover in water. nearly a litre of water escaped. there was a good inch of headspace when i filled the kettle so it wasnt overflowing. the water was just climbing up via the mesh.. weird.

IMG_2537.JPG

IMG_2539.JPG

The water is wicking up the mesh like what happens when using a swamp cooler. The simple solution: Don't wrap the bag around the lip of the kettle, just twist and tuck it inside the kettle. Use gloves to untwist when you need to stir. The correct solution: Get a bigger kettle.

Interesting. I would not have expected that. I wonder if it's some kind of siphon. I can't imagine the mesh wicking enough water up to create excess that could drop away and form puddles.

I think it is due to the material. The fibers themselves are wicking the liquid up and over the lip. You need a synthetic fiber that does not absorb liquid, like nylon.

Yep. I'm guessing it's a cotton bag. Obviously not a good choice of material, due to the wicking properties. General consensus is that polyester voile makes the best bags. Never see any wicking like that with my Wilser bag.

Brew on :mug:

You are calling this BIAB so we'll assume you intend to add grains into a kettle that is nearly to the top now and close to spilling over at the rim?

The spillage from wicking is just a drop in the bucket compared to what you'll deal with after you add grains. Then the boil? Whew.

My last brew I noticed that my kettle sides were covered in water, making my flame hiss as it slid down the side. I didn't have my bag in at the time. It was just some weird condensation.

Yep. I'm guessing it's a cotton bag. Obviously not a good choice of material, due to the wicking properties. General consensus is that polyester voile makes the best bags. Never see any wicking like that with my Wilser bag.

Brew on :mug:

seconds on the wilser bag. I've had both the brew brag and binder clips, and the wilser bag i'm using now, and haven't had any water over the side issues. the wilserbrewer bag goes completely over the sides like yours does, so it's not a matter of trapping hot air or needing more venting around bag. For the $30 the wilser bag is the best brew bang for the buck I've bought so far...

For the $30 the wilser bag is the best brew bang for the buck I've bought so far...

$30 a bag??? I wish lol

Bags are only $22 for the first bag, and $18 for a second bag, plus $5 shipping. A fair amount less expensive than other bags.

Just my biased opinion on the bag above. It is the incorrect material. Proper polyester voile will not wick or draw the liquid over the kettle rim thru capillary action as this bag is doing.

Also, that bag is a mess and appears way oversized for the kettle, likely creating a mess when pulled from the kettle.

Bags like this give BIAB a bad rap.

Apologies to the OP if I came off harsh.

Back