Water Treatment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick4228

Reaction score
Hey All,

I have a question about water treatment and through all my searches I couldn't really find what I was looking for. I'm getting ready to brew a pale ale (a fairly hoppy one along the lines of a Hillfarmstead Edward or a 3 Floyds Zombie Dust) and traditionally I use the Bru'N Water spreadsheet to calculate my salt additions. If I use the "Amber Hoppy" target I get an addition that looks like this:

Gypsum (CaSO4): 1.8g mash 2.1g sparge
Epsom Salt (MgSO4): 2.6g mash 2.6g sparge
Baking Soda (NaHCO3): 0.3g mash
Calcium Chloride (CaCl2): 1.6g mash 1.8g sparge
Chalk (CaCO3): 0.3g mash

And if i choose Burton I get an addition that looks like this:

Gypsum (CaSO4): 15.4g mash 21.7g sparge
Epsom Salt (MgSO4): 7.4g mash 7.4g sparge
Canning Salt (NaCl): 0.9g mash 0.9g sparge
Chalk (CaCO3): 4g mash

Now my question is if both of these additions get my pH where it needs to be for the mash, what are the pros and cons of using one vs the other, and what would be the reasoning of using one over the other (not talking these additions specifically, but more so "amber hoppy" vs burton).

Other relevent stats might be that this is for a 7gal batch of a calculated 9srm beer

Thanks in advance!

Hey All,

I have a question about water treatment and through all my searches I couldn't really find what I was looking for. I'm getting ready to brew a pale ale (a fairly hoppy one along the lines of a Hillfarmstead Edward or a 3 Floyds Zombie Dust) and traditionally I use the Bru'N Water spreadsheet to calculate my salt additions. If I use the "Amber Hoppy" target I get an addition that looks like this:

Gypsum (CaSO4): 1.8g mash 2.1g sparge
Epsom Salt (MgSO4): 2.6g mash 2.6g sparge
Baking Soda (NaHCO3): 0.3g mash
Calcium Chloride (CaCl2): 1.6g mash 1.8g sparge
Chalk (CaCO3): 0.3g mash

And if i choose Burton I get an addition that looks like this:

Gypsum (CaSO4): 15.4g mash 21.7g sparge
Epsom Salt (MgSO4): 7.4g mash 7.4g sparge
Canning Salt (NaCl): 0.9g mash 0.9g sparge
Chalk (CaCO3): 4g mash

Now my question is if both of these additions get my pH where it needs to be for the mash, what are the pros and cons of using one vs the other, and what would be the reasoning of using one over the other (not talking these additions specifically, but more so "amber hoppy" vs burton).

Other relevent stats might be that this is for a 7gal batch of a calculated 9srm beer

Thanks in advance!

Hi!

adding salt in water is not just a matter of pH, the most important thing in my own opinion is the effect on the final beer taste that these addictions give.

I'm actually brewing same recipies changin only water profile and belive me, the result is always surprising! In my experience water profiles with lot of SO4 tend to produce too much crispy flavor and to reduce the fresh hop aroma of the beer. It's ok if you want to brew an authentic english bitter (but I suggest don't go above 300ppm on final SO4) but if you are going to use american hops variety you may end up with a beer with less hop character than expected.

I just did a Zombie dust clone. I also use bru'n water. For all my ipa.
I use the"pale ale" water profile for those.I've not gone wrong yet

Latest posts

Back