Water Treatment Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dokken5

Reaction score
Ok, so if I am going to put additives in my water, I do it for all the water right? Not just the amount that ends up in the boil pot? If I use a total of ten gallons of water, then I treat ten gallons right? Even if only 8 make it to the pot.

Add to entire supply. Then you may want to adjust pH for your sparge water only. Checkout Brunwater. It's a great spread sheet that will walk you thru the whole process. The Water Knowledge section is a great resource. Also, check out the Brew Science forum. Martin and AJ are real chemistry gurus. Martin wrote Brunwater.

I recommend adding minerals and acids based on the actual volumes used...even if a portion of that water doesn't make it into the kettle. That just makes accounting for everything easier.

There can be advantages in adding or not adding minerals at one point or another. I've recently been using a technique where I add all the minerals directly to the mashing water and none to the sparging water. This is especially useful when you are creating low mineralization water for something like a lager and you still want enough calcium in the mash to precipitate the oxalate in the tun. The supporter's version of Bru'n Water has that technique programed in as an option. Another option some brewers use is to add all the minerals directly to the kettle so that they can be sure that they all are in the kettle. The problem with that option is that you may not get the oxalate precipitation and you also don't get the acidifying effect of the Ca and Mg salts in the mash.

Plenty of options...but its your decision.

Back