"Water" topic in the "Home Brewing Beer Forum"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sky4meplease

Reaction score
I am curious if it would be beneficial to have a separate topic for "Water" in the "Home Brewing Beer" forums?

The topic currently seems to get scattered amongst a couple other topics.

It seems more and more brewers are discovering the importance of this ingredient in beer brewing once beyond the basics.

I think the general direction of the forum has been towards congregating rather then separating. Many of the sub forums don't get used because the posts often don't get seen by a wide enough audience. In a hobby where many of us appreciate meticulous organization, I'm not sure it's as conducive to nurturing a community when it comes to discussion.

Just my $.02

The Brew Science forum is almost all about water as it is.

I agree that there is such a thing as over organization. Also people don't always "file" their messages into the right places. A few large buckets is much better than dozens and dozens of smaller ones, IMHO.

I believe the logic is that since when we talk about water we're talking about chemistry, it should go under Brew Science.

Ha! I haven't even been to the Brew Science forum. Will have to check that out.

Don't get me wrong I'm not implying this place isn't structured properly but any one of the four basic ingredients in beer is pretty scientific and to be fair "fermentation and yeast" got there own bedroom.
Heck things get pretty scientific in the "beginners" forum.
Maybe slim it down to a handful of topics if there are some not being used. Looking at the list I have only been to half of them.

I think the topic of water is quite a bit more complex than basic brewing concepts like extract, mashing, hops, yeast and fermentation temperatures. Water is extremely variable and treatment goes in very opposing directions depending upon what you have. To make even minor adjustments properly requires a fair amount of knowledge.

I'm not saying your idea is bad, but I don't see that the existing arrangement poor enough to warrant changes.

I think the general direction of the forum has been towards congregating rather then separating. Many of the sub forums don't get used because the posts often don't get seen by a wide enough audience. In a hobby where many of us appreciate meticulous organization, I'm not sure it's as conducive to nurturing a community when it comes to discussion.

Just my $.02

This explains why the cat videos I'm posting aren't getting many responses.

Back