Water testing question re: filters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SankePankey

Reaction score
Hello-

I've got pretty minerally hard water from a well that I'd like to get tested to know what adjuncts to get. My question is:

If I'm going to be filtering my water in some way (not sure which filter yet) wouldn't it make much more sense to send a sample for testing that's taken after the filter. Should I wait til I get that in place for that? I guess this is a dumb question, but I drank those cells away last night.:p

Post filter would be my choice if that's where you plan to draw water from in the future. If you're in a hurry, I can tell you that carbon filters do very little to change the ions. At most, you'll lose a few ppm here and there. I say this based on the results of pre/post filter test results my friend got from wardlab.

Post filter would be my choice if that's where you plan to draw water from in the future. If you're in a hurry, I can tell you that carbon filters do very little to change the ions. At most, you'll lose a few ppm here and there. I say this based on the results of pre/post filter test results my friend got from wardlab.

Any chance you'd mind sharing the preferred filter to buy. I'm looking to not spend the $200 for the whole house filter thing, just a moderate ebay or depot buy.

Thanks. Just don't want to look that hard. And thanks for the videos.

Something like this should work with a carbon filter in it should do just fine. The bigger the filter the faster you can push the water through it and still have it be effective.

Latest posts

Back