Water sample question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ampsman

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am sending a sample off to Ward labs. I currently use a carbon filter so I am wondering if I should send the sample of the filtered water or non-filtered water? I assume that I should send them a sample of whatever is going into my kettle?

I am sending a sample off to Ward labs. I currently use a carbon filter so I am wondering if I should send the sample of the filtered water or non-filtered water? I assume that I should send them a sample of whatever is going into my kettle?

I would do the filtered water, if that is what you are brewing with and what you will be adjusting.

Doesn't much matter as a carbon filter doesn't have much effect on the things Ward Labs measures. If the water being filtered contains chlorine or chloramine the activated carbon will reduce those releasing some hydrogen ion in the process. Thus alkalinity will be slightly reduced and the pH will go down a bit.

Back