Water Quality

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WeissBeerGal

Reaction score
I have well water that runs through a softener and then a filter system.
Any idea how this will effect the beer?
Any need to get bottled water or use Reverse Osmosis water?
This will be my first batch.

It is pretty widely recommended that water on a softening system is not your best choice for brewing. A much better choice would be to purchase some "spring water" from the local grocery as it will still have some minerals in it (contrary to RO water). This is a good safe approach that will allow your first batch a good chance of turning out as tasty as possible.

Since water is a huge ingredient, there are lots of technical concepts around water quality and chemistry. As you progress with your brewing, you can read up on adjusting your water with additives to make the best beer you can.

Good luck with your first brew and don't be afraid to ask questions along the way.

Also, I think you may want to post in a different forum as this one is for suggesting changes to the site.

Cheers.

Are you brewing with extract? If so water is not nearly as important as it is with AG. Since this is your first batch I am guessing you are brewing with extract so I wouldn't worry about your water too much.

I think even for extract the water from a water softener is undesirable since the softener replaces calcium iones with sodium iones. This leads to a lot of sodium in your water and beer.

Could you get an R/O system? That's what I do for my well water.

Kai

I'd recommend getting your water analyzed. Some mineral profiles that are considered undesirable for drinking water are actually better for brewing than purer water. Burton was widely know for the quality of its Pales and it has what would be considered moderately hard water. At the very least, I'd bypass the softener and just run the water through an activated charcoal filter.

Kaiser said:
I think even for extract the water from a water softener is undesirable since the softener replaces calcium iones with sodium iones. This leads to a lot of sodium in your water and beer.

Could you get an R/O system? That's what I do for my well water.

Kai

I do my beers that need soft water with my softener on. My hardness is 225 ppm CaCO3. When I want moderate hardness I use 50/50 softened water / unsoftened water ), brings me to 112 ppm.

Speaking of water quality. This may be a silly questions and I think I know the answer already, but would a high arsenic content in the water cause any off flavors?

My water out of my tap is almost pure except for the arsenic? If anyone has heard anything I would appreciate it. Thanks!

AFAJ Brew Guy said:
Speaking of water quality. This may be a silly questions and I think I know the answer already, but would a high arsenic content in the water cause any off flavors?

My water out of my tap is almost pure except for the arsenic? If anyone has heard anything I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Arsenic ? Why are you drinking water with high levels of Arsenic? do you have a death wish?

I use r/o water then add sea salt for mineral additives. I use the water and salt for my 75gal saltwater reef tank. I use a 1/4 cup of salt for 6-gal of water. I have done beer with and without and have noticed a differnce.

Dr Vorlauf said:
Arsenic ? Why are you drinking water with high levels of Arsenic? do you have a death wish?

HA! No death wish that I know of, it is just the area that I live in Northern Nevada, our city wells just have a non-EPA approved amount of Arsenic. It is double the EPA recommendations. Not really dangerous to adults, some children can have issues, but not a lot.

I was just wondering if it would good for the beer! It's all about the beer man!

DOUBLE the allowable amounts, and ONLY some of the kids have problems. There's no way in hadies I would ever drink water that had that reputation, let alone brew with it. You got balls, dude.... big ones.

AFAJ Brew Guy said:
HA! No death wish that I know of, it is just the area that I live in Northern Nevada, our city wells just have a non-EPA approved amount of Arsenic. It is double the EPA recommendations. Not really dangerous to adults, some children can have issues, but not a lot.

I was just wondering if it would good for the beer! It's all about the beer man!

I would say RO your water and add back the mineral salts. Actually if you have high Arsenic you might consider a model that will do all of your water.

Thanks for the info. We hardly ever use the water for drinking and use mostly bottled water for the kids and our selves.

We are eventually looking am RO system that does it all, but we just bought the house, so that is still a little ways off.

Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back