Water Quality Report

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MustangCF

Reaction score
During a discussion today with a friend, the subject of brewing water came up. We realized that we had no clue how to read a water report within the frameworks of brewing. We also wondered about getting water from a source such as Primo and using it to brew.

So I looked it up and they provide the following report:

http://www.primowater.com/doc_library/SB220/WaterQualityReport_English.pdf

Since I have no clue how to read that with regards to brewing... what can some of you in the know tell me about what about that water works and what needs to be changed?

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

That report looks like it is RO or DI water. The middle column looks like the actual water report for the water. The ND means it is not detectable which it looks like everything is ND. The right column is the maximum contaminant levels for each ion, chemical and compound in water.

If you are using RO or DI water, you are basically using a clean slate. For simple salt additions, look at the water primer. To get more into water, read Water by Palmer and Kaminski.

You brewing AG or extract?

It doesn't list calcium, magnesium, or alkalinity anywhere on there. But given that the TDS is 22, they'd have to be quite low as well regardless of the actual concentrations. And agree that yeah, not distilled water but definitely looks to be RO water to me. Like he said, you can use that pretty much as a blank slate. Hit up the primer: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=198460 as this water source should be perfect for it. Thats your easy strategy for brewing just about whatever you want. To hit the world class level I'd say you'll have to get more into it than that and build water custom, but that process will brew good if not great beer.

Bru'n Water is a great program to use as well... Just set your dilution to 100% RO and you are good to go with building the water profiles you'd like.

Latest posts

Back