Water Profile - Style Profile

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shotgunsteve

Reaction score
This is my water report, I called the utility lab directly to get yeaterdays numbers from the tech:

Total Hardness = 169
Calcium = 46.4
Magnesium = 14.1
pH = 7.8
Chloride = 5.57
Alkalinity (CaCO3) = 123
Sodium (Na) = 12.7
Sulphate (SO4) = 70
Bicarbonate = 3

the biocarbinate seems really low, do Increase it and how? I’m worried that using baking soda would throw off the sodium level. Any other suggestions?

I’m brewing a 10 gallon malty brown ale with low hops, aiming for 6.5%

i plan to add:
1/2 tsp gypsum
1 tsp CaCl,
0.25g potassium metabisulphite

I also might do a 1:1 distilled water, not sure. Appreciate thoughts on optimization

I'd really double-check that. That bicarbonate seems weirdly low. Bicarbonate acts as a buffer for pH moving, so looking at the pH of 7.8 and seeing Bicarbonate at 3, I'd think something is off. Not to mention that Alkalinity is Bicarbonate*(50/61), so something is wrong.

The only reason to want to increase bicarbonate would be if you need to increase the mash pH. But there's something wrong with those numbers. A total alkalinity of 123 ppm "as CaCO3" would be 150 ppm as HCO3. Your Bicarbonate number should be something close to 150 ppm.

Thanks for confirming this is exactly what I thought, based on use of that same ratio above. I asked the girl to repeat it three times haha.

I’m going to assume 150 ppm biocarbonate. Is there anything else you’d recommend changing or doing? Maybe I don’t need to use distilled water

Is there anything else you’d recommend changing or doing? Maybe I don’t need to use distilled water

Are you using one of the Water Calculators? If not, I would recommend doing so, so you can target the mash pH you want. And measuring additions by weight, not volume, which is more accurate (and what you need to enter in the calculators).

Are you using one of the Water Calculators? If not, I would recommend doing so, so you can target the mash pH you want. And measuring additions by weight, not volume, which is more accurate (and what you need to enter in the calculators).
https://www.brewingcalculators.com/brewing-water-builder/Here's a shameless reference to mine. It doesn't calculate the pH, but does help get the Ions to where they should be.

https://www.brewingcalculators.com/brewing-water-builder/Here's a shameless reference to mine. It doesn't calculate the pH, but does help get the Ions to where they should be.

But the MOST important thing is mash pH, so I'd suggest targeting a proper mash pH, and then worrying about any additions after that.

@shotgunsteve Depending on what you're making, you will likely need some acid to bring down that bicarbonate. Phosphoric acid or lactic acid is readily available.
I assume the metabisulfite is to remove chlorine/chloramines and is going in the water and stirred well before adding to the mash?
For your brown ale, you don't want to add gypsum if that sulfate amount is correct. You have plenty of sulfate. The calcium chloride is a good idea for sure. You could probably go higher with it, up to 70-90 ppm of chloride.

With a pH of 7.8 and Alkalinity at 123 mg/L (ppm) I agree that Bicarbonate must be right close to 150 mg/L.

Latest posts

Back