Water Profile for Barley Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chefchris

Reaction score
This look ok? First time brewing a barley wine. Thinking about adding some more gypsum since the EZ Spreadsheet reads "Malty".

Color 17 SRM
IBU: 100

Starting with RO.

Water Profile:
Ca: 85
Mg: 2
Na: 9
Cl: 110
SO4: 83
HCO3: 0

RA (mash only): -31 (3 to 7 SRM)
Cl to SO4 (total water): 1.31 (Malty)

Mash / Sparge Vol (gal):
7.9 / 2.76
Dilution Rate: 0%

Adjustments (grams) Mash / Boil Kettle:
CaCO3: 0.6 / 0.2
CaSO4: 2.2 / 0.76
CaCl2: 6.7 / 2.3
MgSO4: 3.2 / 1.1
NaHCO3: 1.3 / 0
NaCl: 0 / 0
HCL Acid: 0 / 0
Lactic Acid: 0 / 0

Mash Water / Total water (ppm):
Ca: 86 / 86
Mg: 10 / 10
Na: 12 / 9
Cl: 108 / 108
SO4: 83 / 83
CaCO3: 36 / 29

Um... american or english barleywine? The IBUs make me think american, I might go with a bit more of a Balanced/Bitter profile for an american BW...

Um... american or english barleywine? The IBUs make me think american, I might go with a bit more of a Balanced/Bitter profile for an american BW...

American. I found the water profile for Hair of the Dog's Barley Wine, but when I got my numbers to hit their's I noticed the chloride to sulfate ratio was almost balanced, but more on the malty side.

I'm thinking the same as you, balanced or bitter.

But what do I know? I only brew beers good enough to "mention".
:D

Any more thoughts on this?

I'm planning a 100 IBU American Barleywine and was thinking of targeting Moser's Ideal Pale Ale numbers as I do with all my other American Pale Ales, IPAs, IIPAs, but now that I think of it more maybe I should lean the Cl:S04 ratio more towards 'malty'?

Kal

I still haven't brewed it. I'm still not sure on it, I know by the time the beer becomes ready the hops will have faded significantly. I think I would still lean to bitter, but maybe not "Very Bitter" as the spreadsheet would say.

Back