Water ph

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martyjmc

Reaction score
I just bought some test strips to check my home well water and it shows that my ph is 6.2 or more ( that's as high as the strips indicate). I am wondering how this is affecting my beer and if so, how do I correct it?

You actually want to worry about the mash pH more than anything else (adding malt/strike water together will usually lower the pH level from its original state.) You test the mash after 15 minutes or so.

If you want to handle this the most complete way, here's what I'd do:

Have a water sample for your house done by Ward Labs. There are many factors that affect water quality for brewing... pH is only one of them.
https://producers.wardlab.com/BrewersKitOrder.aspx

After you have this, you can use EZ Water Calculator to figure out what needs to be modified for an optimal mash condition:
http://www.ezwatercalculator.com/

Maybe, but maybe not. My tap water has a pH of 8.2, but it's not water pH that matters- it's the pH of the mash that matters.

Adding grains (which are acidic) to water changes the pH, and that's what you want to monitor.

Ty for the info. I will send a sample and I'll check the mash next time I brew. Does the ph go down or up when you mash?

What is the ph level that I am looking for?

At room temperature, a good mash pH will be 5.4-5.6ish. You can use some salts, like gypsum or calcium chloride, to lower the mash pH. I use a bit of a combination- acid malt (a couple of ounces), and some calcium chloride (for malty beers) and/or gypsum (for hoppy beers).

We have an excellent "Water Chemistry Primer" in the Brewing Science are of the Forum, as a sticky, that has really helped me start to grasp the issue.

Yooper said:
At room temperature, a good mash pH will be 5.4-5.6ish. You can use some salts, like gypsum or calcium chloride, to lower the mash pH. I use a bit of a combination- acid malt (a couple of ounces), and some calcium chloride (for malty beers) and/or gypsum (for hoppy beers).

We have an excellent "Water Chemistry Primer" in the Brewing Science are of the Forum, as a sticky, that has really helped me start to grasp the issue.

I know this probably a stupid question but I have seen several people refer to stickies. Can you tell me what they are?

Lol.....I have used this forum for three months and just figured out the stickies!

My respects to Yooper and the Stickies, but they are not going to provide an understanding of brewing water chemistry. The 'primer' only directs brewers to use RO water and add salts. For anyone that wanted to learn something about brewing water chemistry, sites like How to Brew, Braukaiser.com, and Bru'n Water are good resources. The Water Knowledge page on the Bru'n Water site is especially informative ;-)

As mentioned above, tap water pH is almost totally meaningless in brewing. In addition, the fact that the OP's pH strips read to 6.2 doesn't provide any information if the strip is maxed out. Strips that read to at least 9 pH might help the OP decipher what the tap water pH is. Having a water test result for the tap water should be the first thing that a brewer should have in order to begin understanding if their water is usable and what they might do to make it better. That is the real beef I have with the Water Primer, it directs brewers to switch over to RO water without any regard to the utility of the brewer's existing water. That switch does make the recommendations of the Primer practical and accurate, but what if the brewer's water is already well suited for brewing? That would be a shame that they were inappropriately directed to abandon their water. Understanding the tap water should be the first thing that any brewer does when they are looking into advancing their brewing practice.

While I appreciate the simplicity of the EZ Water program, I also recognize that it can get brewers into a lot of trouble unless they actually know quite a bit about water chemistry. It's unfortunate that brewing water chemistry can be difficult, but there are plenty of pitfalls that can occur. I wrote Bru'n Water to help brewers avoid those pitfalls and help guide them from the mistakes that many programs 'allow' or even guide their users to make.

I'm just getting into water chemistry stuff. after sending my water off to Ward Labs, and putting the results into the Bru'n Water calculator, i found out quite a bit about my water, without modification, is good for. Also, it helped me figure out how to adjust the water for different styles of beer.

Anyways, i really think Bru'n Water and Ward Labs test results can help you/OP tackle the concept.

I'm just getting into water chemistry stuff. after sending my water off to Ward Labs, and putting the results into the Bru'n Water calculator, i found out quite a bit about my water, without modification, is good for. Also, it helped me figure out how to adjust the water for different styles of beer.

Anyways, i really think Bru'n Water and Ward Labs test results can help you/OP tackle the concept.

Back