Water Help & Thoughts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Asator

Reaction score
Hello all,

I moved to all-grain BIAB about 6 brews ago. Previously, I was extract only. My recent beers have been drinkable, but have a feeling focusing more on my water might help me improve. So, I pulled samples of the two different water sources I've been using and sent them to Ward Labs. Sample A is the water at my house, which is very convenient but you can see, as I knew, the water is very hard. Sample B is municipal water that I've used a couple of times. I brew mostly pale ales, IPAs, and light Belgian styles. Any thoughts people have on the two water profiles? I have purchased the various brewing salts but wanted to see what I was working with before trying to incorporate them.

Two things:
  • I won't be purchasing an RO system. I might incorporate distilled water if absolutely necessary but would prefer to not have buy 7-8 gallons each brew day.
  • I do not yet have a pH meter, but plan to invest in one soon. I have strips currently, and to me they are worthless. So I'm flying blind as far as mash pH.

Sample ID A
pH 7.5
TDS Est 475
EC 0.79
Cations 9.6
Anions 9.9
Sodium 11
Calcium 91
Magnesium 54
Potassium 2
Total Hardness 453
Nitrate 0.3 (SAFE)
Sulfur 15
CO3 < 1.0
HCO3 505
Chloride 22
Total Alkalinity 415
Total P < 0.01
Total Fe < 0.01

Sample ID B
pH 8.7
TDS Est 370
EC 0.62
Cations 6.2
Anions 6.1
Sodium 67
Calcium 34
Magnesium 18
Potassium 7
Total Hardness 160
Nitrate 1.3 (SAFE)
Sulfur 67
CO3 1.6
HCO3 59
Chloride 29
Total Alkalinity 51
Total P 0.17
Total Fe < 0.01

I appreciate any thoughts or feedback.

Sulfur = sulfate?

Sample A has pretty high magnesium and high alkalinity. Not great for brewing light styles in my opinion. Might be a little tart if you neutralize all that alkalinity.

Sample B has pretty high sodium. The sulfate is higher than I prefer but it's probably fine for what you brew. Otherwise it looks OK.

I buy RO water for every brew day, I have a couple 5gal and 1gal jugs. 39 cents per gallon.
You could blend RO/distilled with your municipal water just to reduce the sodium to something more reasonable.

Hope this helps.

@RPh_Guy Thanks for the reply. Sorry about the Sulfur confusion, I've adjusted below.

Sample ID A

pH 7.5
TDS Est 475
EC 0.79
Cations 9.6
Anions 9.9
Sodium 11
Calcium 91
Magnesium 54
Potassium 2
Total Hardness 453
Nitrate 0.3 (SAFE)
Sulfate 45
CO3 < 1.0
HCO3 505
Chloride 22
Total Alkalinity 415
Total P < 0.01
Total Fe < 0.01

Sample ID B
pH 8.7
TDS Est 370
EC 0.62
Cations 6.2
Anions 6.1
Sodium 67
Calcium 34
Magnesium 18
Potassium 7
Total Hardness 160
Nitrate 1.3 (SAFE)
Sulfate 201
CO3 1.6
HCO3 59
Chloride 29
Total Alkalinity 51
Total P 0.17
Total Fe < 0.01

Sample A is not suitable for brewing. The magnesium level is just too high to be pleasant. In addition, the alkalinity of that source is very high. If that water was used without acidification, there is little chance that you'd appreciate the resulting beer.

Sample B is a far better brewing water. However the sulfate content is a bit high for many styles. As pointed out, Ward Labs reports the sulfate content 'as Sulfur'. The OP corrected that report by multiplying the 'as Sulfur' result by 3 to produce the true sulfate concentration.

With the water report for Sample B, you should be able to employ brewing chemistry software such as Bru'n Water to help get your brewing chemistry into a decent range. Obtaining a pH meter isn't a requirement when you have a reasonable water report and a way to adjust the water effectively.

@mabrungard

I'm flattered you helped me with this issue. Thank you so much for your comment. Bru'n Water is a great program I've tried to use before, but I didn't have the complete water reports prior to today. I'll use your tool with Sample B and will definitely support it! Thanks so much!

Back