water for partial boil brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerguy2009

Reaction score
Is it a good idea to boil and cool the water that will be added to the wort after brewing to get rid of contaminants or is it a waste of time? Also should I use campden tablets if I use filtered water?

That's kind of a mixed bag because if you boil it, you will be killing off any bugs but you will also drive off the oxygen. No need for campden tablets with filtered water. When I used to do partial boils I added bottled spring water. For $2-3 it was worth the piece of mind.

What I've heard is city water is safe, well water should be sterilized.

What I've done is used tons of water straight from the tap without boiling in all of my brews. (and I have city water).

I've started using the sprayer from teh faucet right into the ale pale to fill it up to 5 gallons. Can't think of a better way to oxygenate the water then that.

Since I live on top of one of the nations finest aquifers it seems a shame not to use it as it comes out of my tap pretty much free with just as bit of chlorine in it. I mix up five gallons with a crushed campden tablet before brewing, some for the partial boil and the rest in the fermenter. Like they say, if your tap water tastes good, I say use it.

What I would like to do one day is make a beer with water directly from one of the local springs but I haven't figured out how I would collect it (a full boil of course!).

Back