water for oatmeal stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrkrausen

Reaction score
I am still fairly new to adjusting my water for brewing but the beers that I have brewed since have been noticeably better. My water is better suited for dark beers, but I haven't brewed one since I've started adjusting my water. I was thinking about going with 100 distilled and building up from there. This is what I have so far. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks.

New Picture.jpg

That's really hard for me to see (old eyes and a tiny netbook), but I wouldn't add Epsom salt- you don't need the sulfate.

A little calcium chloride, and a mash pH of 5.5. That would do it.

If starting with RO or distilled, epsom salt in minor quantity is OK. It helps dry the finish.

Looking at your tap water profile indicates that its pretty high in sulfate and it may not be as suited for dark beers for that reason. Might dry out the finish too much.

That's really hard for me to see (old eyes and a tiny netbook), but I wouldn't add Epsom salt- you don't need the sulfate.

A little calcium chloride, and a mash pH of 5.5. That would do it.

Sorry about that. It took me forever to figure out how to post a snapshot of the excel page. I'll try and make it bigger next time. I'll try your suggestions though.

Latest posts

Back