Water filter micron size??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firefly765

Reaction score
What size micron filter do most use? I've seen 100 micron down to .5 micron. What is necessary for brewing mash water filtering? I currently use straight from the tap & seems to be good. Always looking to improve though. Thanks.

typically in a lab setting a filter with pore size .22 to .45 um would be used to filter out the large majority of bacteria/cells. its probably not necessary for mash water since you'll be boiling it though

What size micron filter do most use? I've seen 100 micron down to .5 micron. What is necessary for brewing mash water filtering? I currently use straight from the tap & seems to be good. Always looking to improve though. Thanks.

RO systems seems 1 micron prefilter is pretty typical. My whole house sediment filter is 5 micron. 1 micron will plug up at some point and really restrict flow.

More important, if the tap water has chlorine, or chloramines, or heavy metals, it's good to get that out. Not only for beer but for you. The chlorine filter is a different type than the micron/sediment filters. Chloramine is another beast altogether.

You either have a filter, or you are a filter.

Think about it.

typically in a lab setting a filter with pore size .22 to .45 um would be used to filter out the large majority of bacteria/cells. its probably not necessary for mash water since you'll be boiling it though

A well may need those sub-micron sizes to remove bacteria like E. coli, or giardia. With tap water, bacteria are probably killed but the chlorine residuals can be a problem.

RO systems seems 1 micron prefilter is pretty typical. My whole house sediment filter is 5 micron. 1 micron will plug up at some point and really restrict flow.

More important, if the tap water has chlorine, or chloramines, or heavy metals, it's good to get that out. Not only for beer but for you. The chlorine filter is a different type than the micron/sediment filters. Chloramine is another beast altogether.

You either have a filter, or you are a filter.

Think about it.

so......will this filter chlorine?
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-Water-Filter-with-Hose/14504321

Back