Water experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

En Fuego

Reaction score
Hey all –
So here is the deal – My parents own a cabin in Southern Colorado at 9,000 ft. Their only water source is a local spring that has some of the most incredible water you have ever tasted. It is essentially melted virgin snow filtered over sand and pebbles (but then again, so is most water I guess). Anyway, they just came home and were nice enough to bring me 6 gallons to brew with.

I think I will try it with a Canadian Pale recipe that I have. I’ll let you guys know if I am able to discern a noticeable difference using this water over my muni water.

Any suggestions or anything I should take into consideration before I try this?

Wow thats awesome!

The only thing I'd say is if you want to get real dorky get a bit of it tested so you know the make up.

I'd also treat the water somehow to sanitize it, unless you're boiling every drop.

there are some ugly foodborne illnesses you can get from 'mountain spring water', because 'yes, a bear DOES in fact **** in the woods', often in streams where they search for fish.

I will be boiling every drop. I wonder how well Irish moss will work on Bear poo?

Back