Water being shut off 1/2 way through my boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldyote

Reaction score
I'm about 10 minuntes into my boil and my neighbor just told me our neighborhood water is going to be shut off until morning. I'm going to have 5 gallons of wort and no way to cool it quickly.

I have very little ice in the house. I could run to the store, but I've never tried to cool 5 gallons with just ice.

Any suggestions? I'm sort of at a loss for what to do.

It's already shut off? If not, you can fill up your tub with cold water. That won't totally cool your wort, but it will be a good base for your ice bath.

great idea - no its not shut off yet, but I've been warned that it will be shut off soon. I'm running the water as I type.

Search for the "no chill" method. I've never tried it, but some people say it's great.

The water was shut down for about 20 minutes and I was getting ready to go to the store to pick up a bunch of ice and it came back on. The beer gods must of intervened.

The water was shut down for about 20 minutes and I was getting ready to go to the store to pick up a bunch of ice and it came back on. The beer gods must of intervened.

Glad it worked out okay. Pretty crappy feeling to have your brewday interrupted. I had a nighttime brewday interrupted last year when my wife had the audacity (lol) to get off from work two hours earlier than usual, needing a ride home. I had planned out the night so that I would be picking her up as the beer was cooling (pre-immersion chiller days, so it was ice bath cooling).

Latest posts

Back