Water analysis help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitarmikeb

Reaction score
Looking for suggestions based on the following water profile. They sent these measurements in mg/l. Most tutorials and other threads with the same topic seem to be in ppm.

Sodium 24.0 mg/L
Sulfate 47.0 mg/L
Chloride 17.0 mg/L
Hardness as CaCo3 32.0 mg/L
Alkalinity 26.0 mg/L
Carbon Dioxide 5.0 mg/L
Nitrate 1.4 mg/L

Thanks on advance for the assistance.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Recommendations on what beer would be good to brew with this water profile. Any general recommendations on additions to the water that should be made, ie. gypsum, calcium etc.

Conversion from mg/L to ppm is accomplished by multiplying the number in mg/L by 1. Conversion from ppm to mg/L is accomplished by dividing by 1.

As far as suitable beers are concerned, if you are OK with the sulfate (which you should be for anything but continental lagers) just follow the Primer. If you want half the sulfate, for example, cut 1:1 with RO, for 1/3 the sulfate 2:1 etc. and follow the Primer (in the Stickies).

I greatly appreciate the replies. I'm reading the primer now. Am I to assume that any additions, other than sauermalz, should be added to the wort and not the mash?

slightly off topic... how did you get your water numbers? our water authority just tells you about contaminants.

thanks!

Way Off Topic: I just love this:

The real reason that we can't have the Ten Commandments posted in a courthouse is this: You cannot post "Thou Shalt Not Steal," "Thou Shalt
Not Commit Adultery," and "Thou Shall Not Lie" in a building full of lawyers, judges and politicians...It creates a hostile work environment.

Emailed the city/county water treatment facility and asked for them. They were more than happy to provide the measurements I asked for.

Back