Water advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petemoss

Reaction score
I've been considering trying to tighten up my brewing water game. I live in a medium-small sized city. I called the water board to get info on my water composition. They really couldn't help me too much because they said that the city has three different water sources. We use surface water, well water, and purchase water from a nearby city. So the exact composition could vary depending on what percentage of water we are getting from each source during different times of year.

I was wondering if it is even worth trying to figure out my local water or if I should just go with RO or something. I have been pretty happy with my beer made with our water, I just don't know if it could be better, match certain styles, etc. Even if I decide to do nothing different, I may get a pH meter and try to manage that.

Thanks

From personal experience, which is not much ( around 20 batches ), I have learnt that water is important. More important, is what that water contains in terms of minerals and the pH.

I use bottled water ( no RO water possibilities here where I live ) and the label comes with a detailed composition of the water, from Ca, Mg levels to pH and bicarbonate. I started using the EZwater spreadsheet at some point and my beers came out better than they did in the start of my brewing.

I have now changed to another type of bottled water, with a much lower bicarbonate levels and generally lower qty of minerals. the pH of the bottled water is also better/lower at 7.2. I have also found other spreadsheets ( BrunWater and Mash Made Easy ) which should help me ( at least on paper ) brew even better beers, coupled with the new water I will be using with my future brews.

I feel that knowing your water and how and IF to treat it with acid, salts, etc. will only benefit you as a brewer.

That's not to say that the water you are currently suing is not good enough. You said you are happy with the beers so far.

But knowing your water, will help you brew better beers, no doubt about it. The ph meter will also come in handy when venturing into the depths of mash pH, the pH of the final beer, etc.

Regarding " I just don't know if it could be better, match certain styles, etc. " : I think the beers will certainly become better. I think many brewers made beer when they started. I know I did. ( was not very good or mindblowing, but drinkable - I was happy )

After a while, I think they made better beer, after carefuly gathering a few batches under the belt. At some point, they decided to pay more attention to things like water, mash pH, mash thickness, grain grist size, fermentation - temp. control, yeast pitching rates- and at that point, they made even better beer.

Thanks for the well written response. That is the kind of inspiration I needed. I really feel like I need to delve into it. I guess I need to go water shopping and see what is available in my area. I had considered sending some water off to Ward Labs, but if it is going to change throughout the year, I don't know that it would make much sense.

PH of the water isn't something you need to worry about. The alkalinity is what you need.

Thanks h22lude. I guess what I was thinking about was checking the pH of my mash and then using that as a guide to see if I should experiment with some crude acid additions over time to try and get my mash into the correct range. I certainly do feel that getting the whole profile correct from the beginning would be the way to go. I just meant as a minimal effort type thing. Given my situation, what do you think would be the best way to proceed on this journey? Thanks.

Since your water can change drastically based in the percentage of source water, you are better off with RO. Either bottled or home system (<$200).

I use RO water and Brun water to figure out adjustments. It has worked out very well. For me it's far easier to just start from scratch and build the water I want based on the brew.

Back