WASHINGTON BEER - Need your thoughts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clickondan

Reaction score
I'm in the initial phase of doing some work with the Washington Beer Commission.

http://washingtonbeer.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Washington-Beer/143452749009383

They advocate for Washington state brewers, produce festivals like Washington Beer Festival, and do a lot of other great work on the ground in partnership with local WA brewers.

One of the big possible goals this year is to generate some real excitement, awareness and identity of "Washington beer"... Much like "Oregon wine" or "Wisconsin cheese".

As we consider this, I'm really curious if you have any thoughts on the matter.

Do you have any existing opinions or concepts about "Washington beer"? Do you have any favorite WA brewers? Is there an awareness about WA hops (it seems much of U.S. hops production is done here in Yakima valley)? If you were charged with helping get the word out about "Washington beer", what would you do?

Any other thoughts/opinions/ideas you have would be much appreciated and very useful, about "Washington beer", its identity, and the possible effort to really ramp it up as far as visibility in the craft brewing world. Thanks!

I thought it was "Portland beer"....Good luck! 😈

Seriously though, Pike in Seattle is one of our favourites as visitors, but we normally are bombing down the I5 to Hood River.

The Organic Beer festival in Portland was fabulous last summer. 100+ beers from around the world (including many locals), in the park next to transit train and including a free beer ticket if you park your bicycle in their cage. Just a few bucks to get in and then a couple bucks per beer. I'll return!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Ha, thanks heckler73. Yes, "Portland beer" is right next door! I agree, Pike Brewing is great, there are a couple great brewers in Hood River as well. I almost made it to the Organic Beer Festival last year, definitely going this year. It's only a few miles away from me.

In Vancouver where I'm at, we have some fantastic beer. Right now I really like Ghost Runner, Heathen and Mt.Tabor Brewing.

Back to Washington Beer in general, I'm digging the "Calendar" on their website...

http://washingtonbeer.com/events/

I can't say enough about washington beer. I live in seattle and when I'm not drinking my own I'm hitting up a different microbrewery every weekend.

I don't know why but when I think of Washington state and beer those silly Rainier cans with legs always come to mind. ;)

Actually, I think of Washington as the nation's hop basket. I think playing to that strength in marketing (as well as being home to really great craft breweries) would be a great place to start.

focusing on local hops and educating drinkers about them seems like a good strategy to me.

...but then, Portland really is just down the road. Our secret is.... full beards! a beer brewed or served by a clean shaven person just doesn't taste the same.

portland_beards_tshirt.jpg

Part of the challenge is we haven't heard of most of your delicious beers (another part is, the ones we have heard of keep selling out to Bud... but that's different thread).

Getting folks into town for events like Seattle Beer Week (I presume you've got one... if you don't, you should!) can build customer loyalty to brands that aren't even distributed (yet!) when folks get back home. There are beers/breweries my friends and I are still excited to run across or seek out, even though they're not usually found as far north as the Bay Area, several years after a trip down to San Diego Beer Week.

Barring that, organizing Seattle-themed events at beer geek bars in other cities/states, beer geeks love trying new beers, you never know what wacky city/state might be brewing up your new favorite beer.

Seattle itself has a great beer week in mid may. Usually with a cooperative beer made between several of the local awesome breweries.

Seattle area breweries of note that I don't think get enough attention outside of washington are Fremont Brewing Company and Two Beers Brewing Company. Both produce amazing beers that win over many beer drinkers I know. Other great breweries include the new Holy Mountain Brewery which is all cask and Brett beers. They make some awesome suds. Breweries outside of seattle that are proudly great are Anacortes brewery. It's awesome and my favorite in all the state.

Thanks everyone for the great feedback so far! pdxal, didn't know that about Mt. Tabor and always wondered why they were called Mt. Tabor... suppose I could have looked into it. supermutantbrewmaster, love Fremont. I'll have to check out Anacortes, thanks for the tip.

Reuben's , schooner exact , valholl , and just discovered 3 magnets yesterday - was blown away by the quality of their brews.

I would say a fairly balanced IPA is pretty standard and good at all WA breweries. Also a huge fan and think every WA brewery needs a CDA on tap. Easy to find hoppy American reds up here too which is right in my wheelhouse.

Latest posts

Back