Washing yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirk7728

Reaction score
My last batch of beer fermented about 5 degrees warmer than the yeast's fermentation temp zone, resulting in off flavours. I was told to leave it. Its been in my carboy for close to two months, and now I'm ready to bottle.

Can I, or rather, should I try to wash this yeast?

You could if you like. Many off flavors will fade after months in the bottle or keg, even many months. That fact that the yeast produced those flavors doesn't mean there is now anything wrong with the yeast though. It has not changed significantly

The real question is what type of yeast was it? Was it a $7 vial of liquid yeast, or a $1 or $2 packet of dry yeast. Price might be a factor, depending on your situation...

The real question is what type of yeast was it? Was it a $7 vial of liquid yeast, or a $1 or $2 packet of dry yeast. Price might be a factor, depending on your situation...

ok, not to de-rail the thread but I see people talking about cheap $1, $1.50 or $2 dry yeast packets. where the crap are they finding those???? all I can find at my local home brew store is $4-$6 packets of dry yeast (Nottingham is $5 per packet even).

wormraper said:
ok, not to de-rail the thread but I see people talking about cheap $1, $1.50 or $2 dry yeast packets. where the crap are they finding those???? all I can find at my local home brew store is $4-$6 packets of dry yeast (Nottingham is $5 per packet even).

This seller used to have them for 1.79, now they are 2.79 I believe. The shipping sucks if you are buying 1 yeast, but I buy them 10 at a time and the seller combines shipping. Gets me pretty cheap yeast.
Look at this on eBay:

LALLEMAND NOTTINGHAM ALE YEAST 11g Danstar

http://bit.ly/JDgXM0

Back