Washing yeast from dry hopped primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr_rogers

Reaction score
Quick question,

Background:
I'm going to be performing my first yeast washing this weekend. I dry hopped without a bag in my primary at four weeks (about 1 week ago) so most of the hop pellets have fallen to the bottom of the container.
Question:
When I'm washing yeast, how do I separate the hops from the yeast? Will the hops settle out quickly after I pour in the sanitized water?

Thanks!

yeah i read a lot the first pages of the thread then tried searching within for "hop" or "dry hopped" and it said no results. I imagine that having hops does not effect the process a lot, i was just wondering if it causes problems for washing.

No, it won't. They're usually easier to see too so you can tell when you've gotten them washed out completely.

I always dry hop in secondary. That being said, I always seem to end up with a decent amount of hop pellet residue in the primary form the boil anyway even after filtering. No where near the amount of a dry hop, but there is some never the less. I've found that when following the procedure in the link mentioned above, they mostly settle out with the dead yeast in the bottom of the primary. what ever doesn't settle out in there, usually settles out in the next stage(I use a gallon glass growler). I also use a funnel with a small mesh screen filter when pouring form my primary to my growler, and form my growler to my mason jars as well, this I've found really seems to help as well. Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back