Washing temperature strips

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopsilicious

Reaction score
These seem like a cheap and easy way to get an idea of fermentation temps. Are they washable though? I do not want to have to buy new ones everytime i brew a new batch. At the rate I'm going, I'm brewing every week and a half or so.

Just don't soak them for a long time and they will be fine. I have some that are over 5 years old and still working. If you leave them soaking, moisture can get into the film and/or the adhesive can break down.

Anything over a few minutes could end up clouding/hazing up the liquid crystal windows. I've done it a few times--IIRC one of the thermometers basically went back to normal a while later, but I know I've had to toss one or two that became unreadable this way.

I just wipe down the outside of my carboy's with a damp cloth, avoiding the strips. They can't take a lot of water. I've got a few that are 4 years old and still work.

_

I put a strip of clear packing tape over the top of all my strip thermometers. Works great, keeps them dry and happy for a long time.

Latest posts

Back