Washing machine motor wiring for grain mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

28S

Reaction score
I need help wiring a washing machine motor for use with my grain mill.

Model: C68PXGJF-4645
3/4 HP, 115 Volts, 9.8/9.0 Amps, 1725/1140 RPMs

Wiring Harness: Purple, Gray, Black/White, Green, Orange, Red, Black/Red

image-2651814129.jpg

image-1387486147.jpg

That's it, and yes I have a capacitor off the orange wire in the harness. You all are awesome so far! Thanks.

Somebody better check me on this, it's late...

Black/White terminal M3 is your hot wire to the power source.

Black/Red terminal M7 is a hot out from the motor after the built in thermal protection. Connect it to the Purple terminal M1 for hot to the start winding.

Orange terminal M5 goes to the start capacitor, Orange on the other side of the capacitor will go to the neutral side of your power source.

Red terminal M6 is the neutral for the high speed winding, connect to the neutral side of your power source for high speed.

OR

Gray terminal M2 is the neutral for the low speed winding, connect to the neutral side of your power source for low speed. Note: it appears that it is designed to start at high speed until a built in centrificle switch cuts it over to low speed. That may or may not work with a mill.

Any wire not used should be capped or removed from the motor.

Make sure you have a way to disconnect the power quickly in case I read something wrong. And be careful, these things have a habit of jumping off the workbench when you test them.

Is that enough to get you going?

Oh yeah, don't forget to ground it. That's the Green, as usual.

Works! Thanks. I only wired for the slow speed to test, and it worked. I may wire it for a selectable speed. Very cool.

Back