Washing Cooler MLT???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catfish1320

Reaction score
Is it ok to use oxy clean to give a quick wash before using it again? I rinsed it well with hot water after its initial use but was wondering if I should do more.

wouldn't hurt. just don't use an abrasive to scrub it. causes scratches, hides nasties

quick wash and rinse before and after use

Heck clean away. My wife makes me scrub the crap out of mine before I fill it with beer to take anywhere. It is pre boil so no worries about bugs or such just clean it rinse it well and let it dry.

Heck clean away. My wife makes me scrub the crap out of mine before I fill it with beer to take anywhere. It is pre boil so no worries about bugs or such just clean it rinse it well and let it dry.

it is pre-boil, so no worries about infections or the like. but nasties can cause flavors that can't be boiled out

it is pre-boil, so no worries about infections or the like. but nasties can cause flavors that can't be boiled out

Been my way of thinking if you let it dry good the nasties do not get a chance to grow along with the fact that there are a ton of nasties on and in the grain that you are putting in there.

I would be more concerned with leaving a soapy film in it and having that transfer to the beer. I use mine for a beer cooler when it is not in use as a mash tun. After all the rinsing I do with hot water and even scrubbing when I pull a bottle out to drink there is a haze from the grain still on it. Try this sometime. After you rinse it out good go ahead and let it dry and then rub your hand over the bottom of it and look at your hand. It has a lot of grain dust on it.

Only way to be 100% perfect is use a SS mashtun and scrub it and wipe it dry.

Been my way of thinking if you let it dry good the nasties do not get a chance to grow along with the fact that there are a ton of nasties on and in the grain that you are putting in there.

I would be more concerned with leaving a soapy film in it and having that transfer to the beer. I use mine for a beer cooler when it is not in use as a mash tun. After all the rinsing I do with hot water and even scrubbing when I pull a bottle out to drink there is a haze from the grain still on it. Try this sometime. After you rinse it out good go ahead and let it dry and then rub your hand over the bottom of it and look at your hand. It has a lot of grain dust on it.

Only way to be 100% perfect is use a SS mashtun and scrub it and wipe it dry.

probably 100 other threads debating this, so I won't go into it. it's the way I do it, the way I advise and won't force anyone to do it my way.

and I just rubbed my hand all around the inside my cooler. clean

probably 100 other threads debating this, so I won't go into it. it's the way I do it, the way I advise and won't force anyone to do it my way.

and I just rubbed my hand all around the inside my cooler. clean

I agree.

I would rub my hand around mine but it is full of beer and ice:D

only off flavor ive ever experienced from a pre-boil was when i did a sour mash in my cooler.. the lactic acid stuck and only showed up in my light cream ales and nothing else...taught me a lesson after 2 funny tasting batches.. i hade to make a new one.. i only ever rinse, wipe and spray with starsan.. no problems other than the sour mash time :mug:

Back