Washing bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rosshedley

Reaction score
Hi Brewers,

I am bottling in a couple of days. I have used the bottles once before (500ml swing tops) and rinsed them with water after they were finished.

My plan is to just soak them and tops in a plastic bucket in solution of tap water and Young's steriliser and cleaner for 20 mins. Should I rinse with cold tap water after sanitising?

Any pointers most appreciated.

Ross

Could not find a site that sold the product, but did find this.

"Young's Sterliser/Cleaner is bleach/chlorine based, and it is not just Sodium Metabisulphite (although it may well be an ingredient) so rinse well!"

Is this product used in wine making? Need some more information. Be careful and don't use tap water which may have been treated with chlorine or chloramines.

Found the product at Love To Brew, Bristol UK.

"Young's steriliser and cleaner is a chlorine-based product which will remove stains, residues and odours from all your home brewing equipment, as well as sterilising it prior to use. All equipment must be rinsed will with clean water after sanitising, to avoid chlorine smells or flavours in your home brew."

The product will clean and sterilize gunky equipment, but must be rinsed off before brewing. After rinsing your brewing equipment will need to be sanitized. It is not the same as a no rinse sanitizer like Star San.

Ah thanks flars. I will sanitise with boiling water instead then.

When I did the brew I think I stirred the brew with a plastic spoon that I had taken right out of the sanitising solution, so hope the brew has not been impaired.

...or I will make sure I rinse Young's sanitised bottles with tap water thoroughly before use.

...or is rinsing with tap water risking contamination?

Tap water is fine for rinsing. Are you using a municipal water supply? Municipal water is almost always treated with chlorine or chloramines. Treated water will produce off flavors in beer. Five gallons of municipal water can be dosed with one-quarter of a Campden tablet to remove the chloramine. Chlorine will evaporate from the kettle by letting it sit uncovered overnight or evaporated by boiling.

Star San is an easy to use sanitizer requiring no rinse, if you can find it in the UK.

Thanks all!

Yes I am using municipal water (but only for rinsing - I used a mix of boiled municipal water and bottled water for the actual brew).

Rinsing with tap water that contains chlorine or chloramines should not cause an issue due to the very low concentrations in the final beer. You wouldn't want to use untreated water with chloramines as your brewing water. I don't think chlorinated water usually causes a problem, even as brewing water. It is chloramination that causes the evil Band-Aid taste, as I understand it.

IMO it is better to use no-rinse sanitizers. I rinse with hot water after use, store bottles upside down, and rinse with Star San on bottling day. That's right -- no cleaning chemicals whatsoever.

Cheers for all the helpful tips people! I will get me some Star San for the next batch.

Is the main risk of using chlorine based sanitiser that if not properly rinsed it would impair the beer flavour, or is there a health risk if not properly rinsed? I am guessing that the concentrations would be so minimal that ingesting those amounts would not being an issue.

I rinse with hot water after use, store bottles upside down, and rinse with Star San on bottling day. That's right -- no cleaning chemicals whatsoever.

Yes... I too do a hot water rinse and store upside down on a dishwasher rack I kept when we replaced our old one. I've often thought about simply hitting them with Starsan as it would save some time. But, I typically have labels to remove so the PBW soak has become habit.

Cheers for all the helpful tips people! I will get me some Star San for the next batch.

Is the main risk of using chlorine based sanitiser that if not properly rinsed it would impair the beer flavour, or is there a health risk if not properly rinsed? I am guessing that the concentrations would be so minimal that ingesting those amounts would not being an issue.

Risk is off flavor in your beer.
Here is a link to "Off Flavors" in Palmer's previous edition of "How To Brew". Check out "Medicinal".

Latest posts

Back