Wash yeast? Or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davevjordon

Reaction score
I read the thread by Woodlandbrew "Simple yeast storage" and now I don't know if I may just want to pitch the stored slurry, or wash it first.
I did a couple yeast washings before, just for practice (don't still have that yeast). I tossed it after it was in the fridge for a few weeks because I believed it smelled "off", but I don't know.
What I DO have, is two fermenter buckets still going (already dry hopped), a stir plate and refrigerated wort. I plan to brew again in two weeks.
What would you do? Store the slurry in the fridge so the hops prevent microbial growth until I plan to use it, wash it and add a little wort and stir plate it the day before use?
Thoughts? (And I don't have any DME)

I'm sure plenty do, but I've never used dry hopped yeast on a new batch. Whenever I dry hop I secondary it. I only save yeast from primary without any dry hopping. I'm guessing it will be fine - especially if you make another hoppy beer with the reused yeast, but I've never used yeast that was subject to dry hopping.

Back