Wasabi Dill zucchini pickles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Owly055

Reaction score
I had a huge surplus of zucchini, and a bunch of tomatoes that never had a chance to ripen, so I went on a pickle binge........ almost 30 pints of dills in a range of varieties. My rule on pickles is that there are no rules........ Put anything in them....well almost. I NEVER make a pickle that isn't hot and spicy. Most of them had cayenne and usually a jalapeno, and are made with dill and pickling spice. I normally use about 2 cups vinegar, 2 of water, and two T or a bit more, of salt. I like to pour it boiling hot into each jar, and cap it immediately before going to the next jar. I don't "process". Friends and neighbors are wild about these..... except those who don't like hot stuff.
This year I did half a dozen jars of what I call wasabi dills........no recipe, I did it "off the cuff" as I always do. The Wasabi dills had nothing but about 2T of prepared horseradish, about one T of mustard seed ground in my mortar and pestle, and some dill. The boiling liquid was the same as above, but with about 1.5C sugar added.
I'm impatient to try them, and hope for a sinus clearing intense wasabi character. Pseudo wasabi actually, as real wasabi is simply not available in the US, and the root sells for about $100 a pound in Japan.

Anybody out there try anything similar???

H.W.

I make oi sobagi (cucumber kimchi) and dial up the red pepper flakes.

I use this recipe (fantastic yt channel btw for Korean):

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApQUENQbgiY[/ame]

I do about 1 cup of red pepper flakes that I get from vendors here (Federal/Alameda if anybody is familiar with Denver).

Timing was perfect......... I picked all my green tomatoes day before yesterday, and stripped my zucchini plants down to the babies yesterday............. Today it snowed!!

Thank God the Hell Summer is over. Months of temps in the 80's and 90's without even a hint of rain. Fires everywhere. Air filled with smoke for months. It's not been a good one, in fact the worst ever.

H.W.

Latest posts

Back