Warning signs of homebrew addiction

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
-You invite people over for a party/BBQ because you need to expand your stock of empty bottles.

-You catch yourself leering at them when they bring clear/green bottles.

...and I've only been doing this for 4 months.

You call a cook-out and you tell the guests: "Bring meats. Already have beer".

M_C
-You invite people over for a party/BBQ because you need to expand your stock of empty bottles.

-You catch yourself leering at them when they bring clear/green bottles.

...and I've only been doing this for 4 months.

You've been told you can't keep that 'big orange cooler' in the living room....

You have 200+ pounds of grain...

You've been asked "why is your fermenter on my table runner"

NOTE: If this hasn't happened to you, the correct answer IS NOT: "To protect the table's finish"

When you get offered a free chest freezer and you debate with SWMBO whether it will be used for freezing food or a fermentation chamber... "But I'll be able to make lagers!!"

You engage in a conversation because you overhead the words 'gypsum' & 'water' only to discover they were talking about plaster.

Your three year old son knows the names of the "bad bugs"... acetobacter, lactobacillus, pediococcus and brettanomyces.

And can also explain the brewing process better than your SWMBO can.

The only crop you really care about in the backyard is the hops.

When SWMBO regrets not incorporating a brewery into the massive home remodel.

Here's one - our house has an arbitorium (sp?) - a room with all glass sides. She wants to decorate it with plants and antiques.

I want a all-stainless system including the 1-bbl conical fermenter put there in plain view for the neighbors to oogle at.

Here's one - our house has an arbitorium (sp?) - a room with all glass sides. She wants to decorate it with plants and antiques.

I want a all-stainless system including the 1-bbl conical fermenter put there in plain view for the neighbors to oogle at.

you need to acquiesce to her request. that room needs to be full of bines growing out of antique pots. Hello hoporium.

You getr speeding tickets b/c you are trying to your LHBS for grains, was let off with a warning b/c the copper was a HB'er and was sympathetic.
You argue over the phone with your LHBS about the price of hops and grains.
This one happened to me this afternoon, I was trying to haggle the price of hops. One of the crack head labourers heard me saying " you want how much per once, and asked if i buy in bulk how much she would come down,lol,. The labourer came over and wispered I can get you a better deal from his guy,. I said that I was talking about hops, he looked really sheepishly and said" so was I" and winked, tapped his noze.
I laughed my ass off at him.

You have a list of all places in the vicinity where you can buy the ingredients, with complete price lists.:rockin:

Hey, at least we are doing something thriftier than just buying and chugging down bottled beer. It's a good investment if the beer price continue to increase. Cheers to that!:tank:

I can see where that'd be a problem. It seems to me they look at you as a source of free beer. Not like you had to buy it or anything. Don't they realize you had to buy the stuff to make it???:drunk:

A great big "tips" jar on your home bar or counter can really help to offset the cost of HBing.. regardless if they are drinking your stuff or the stuff they brought. ;-)

When you pour a comericial beer you leave about a quarter inch of beer in the bottom of the bottle out of habit.

don't know what number we are up to, but here's another.

Tornado warnings in your area, you are at work, first thing that you think "oh no, my brew." this is of course if your family is not home also.

happened the other day.

This thread makes me feal so much better. Swmbo always says I have a problem.

How bout you convince Swmbo that the house needs another fridge for staging food between the deep freezer.Then she comes home one day to a kegerator instead.
And of coarse you cant have a kegerator without a custom oak bar and sink.Right?

Tornado warnings in your area, you are at work, first thing that you think "oh no, my brew."

This reminded me of something that happened a few months ago. We had a bad ice storm and the power went out. So of course the first thing I did was call around to find a friend's house where I could move my fermenters to avoid them getting too cold. My girlfriend and my dog live with me, yet it was my beer that I was worried about being cold.

you have as many pictures of your brews (after poured), fermenters, and equipment on your cell phone as you do of your family.

Yesterday I was the passenger in a friend's car. Her radio was tuned to 105.3, and when I saw that, the first thing that came to mind was an OG of 1.053.

You go willingly with your wife to the kitchen gadgets department instead of wandering off separately to the DIY department. You then try to convince her that she REALLY needs that thing you never knew existed until it started to look like a hop filter.

you convince your boss to let you use a small part of the walk in cooler for lagering...

i only got away with that one after bringing him a million different samples

supermoth said:
Yesterday I was the passenger in a friend's car. Her radio was tuned to 105.3, and when I saw that, the first thing that came to mind was an OG of 1.053.

Rock 105.3 lol. Also I did this with 1.037

You build a walk-in fridge in the basement...not because that is the most temperature stable area in the house, but because if there is a tornado you're less likely to loose beer and die sober.

I put the keezer in the room in the basement where we go if there is a tornado. Figuring if the house were to collapse and we were trapped, I could live off my beer for weeks.

SWMBO assumes any box thats left at the door is for you and automatically puts it in your brew space.

You scoff at any bar or food joint that has a smaller beer selection than your keezer or beer fridge.

You've learned or practiced more craftsman skills to support your addiction than to take care of your home or car.

SWMBO is encouraging you to build an all electric system so the kitchen "will stop looking like a meth lab"

When you call your neighbor while you are at work and ask him to come over and check to see if an airlock has clogged:mug:

Back