warm keg storage...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xtant

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anything I need to do to a full, carbed keg before I pull it out of the keezer for storage?

I have a 4 tap keezer and eight kegs. My keezer is only 16 cu ft, so it holds all eight kegs, but I don't have room to cold crash anything.

Anything i need to be aware of before i pull the kegs out?

You could get worse chill haze in the glass if you pull it out of the keezer, store it, and then put it back in. Especially with ales/pale ales. You probably won't notice it in dark/darker brews, but I'd tend to not do it. If you have a basement that's in the mid 40's to mid 50's F range, you might do well to get them in there. Otherwise, I'd just get something to cold crash in, for when you need it and leave your brew in the keezer until the keg kicks...

Of course, the only thing I ever cold crash is my starter the night before I brew. Any brew that goes into the brew fridge stays there until it's empty.

Anything I need to do to a full, carbed keg before I pull it out of the keezer for storage?

I have a 4 tap keezer and eight kegs. My keezer is only 16 cu ft, so it holds all eight kegs, but I don't have room to cold crash anything.

Anything i need to be aware of before i pull the kegs out?

I do it from time to time without any issue. Just pulled 2 kegs from my keezer tonight and put them in my ferm chamber to make room for some kegs that I need to carb for an upcoming party. After they're carbed I'll put them in the trash can kegerator for the party and put the other 2 back in the keezer. I will often counter pressure transfer them into clean kegs before moving just to avoid stirring up any sediment that's settled on the bottom. Either that or move them very carefully.

I too take mine out from time to time with no ill effects. I haven't had chill haze in the bottle or kegs in years. For me, it was getting the wort down to pitching temps quickly. Even after a 20 minute whirlpool, then chilling....no issues.

Back