Warm fermentation for a brown ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joamos2

Reaction score
I brewed a brown ale last wed. And our a/c went out. Fermentation took off very quickly and violently (airlock was bubbling a couple times a sec). However the temp was around 78 and there was no way for me to cool the pail. The active co2 production only lasted for 24 hours. I am going to check a sg in tom when I get a new hydrometer(my kids busted my last one). Maybe this is why I drink.
I was wondering was this temp too high and it ruined the beer. If not should I leave it in primary longer or can I transfer to secondary like I was planning. I was hoping to keg and force carbonate it for a party in 3 weeks. Any suggestions?

I think there will be off flavors. With browns there is not a lot of hops to hide behind. I think it will still be drinkable if that's your question.

You may be alright, but more than likely, you'll have created a fair amount of fuesel alcohol. Possibly some acetaldehyde and clove / banana.

Circus peanuts is what I call it. You know that weird candy that is shaped like a peanut, but is colored orange, but is artificial banana flavored? That is what I taste in beers fermented at too high temps.

I've noticed that all yeasts that can produce "banana" esters are always like those banana marshmallow candies. I used to love those! Just get the temp down,& let it sit on the yeast to clean up a bit.
As it ages in bottle/keg,it'll clean up more.

Back