Wanting to start AG single tier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Mad Hatter

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I am wanting to start an AG single tier system for my dad and I. I plan on running a three burner system off of propane. I have purchased three kegs already. I plan to use one for the HLT, one for the MLT, and one for the boil kettle.

I have a few questions. :) For starters, is it manditory to use the stainless steel ball valves, or can you use brass? How large of a propane burner do you need? And can this system be run off a single pump? I plan on using weldless bulkhead fittings for the valves, sight tubes, and the thermometers. I have a welder at home, so welding the cart together will be simple. Check out my print and see if I am on the correct track.

Thanks I appreciate it!
TMH

There's no reason it can't be done with a single pump. Brass valves work just fine, pickle them if you are concerned about the lead.

I use a standard turkey fryer for my HLT but put an adjustable 30 PSI regulator in place of the stock 10 PSI reg that came with it.

I use a Banjo burner to bring my 12 gal. of wort to a boil.

Do you run three burners then? Or do you go with two and use a HERMS system? I would like to go with just the three burners to keep it simple. How doe the plumbing look that I have in the fancy drawing? I would think it is OK, but the possibility of schoring my grain bothers me a bit.

TMH

I have a nearly identical setup -- and love it! Here's a thread on the build, and another thread with pics of it in use. I use 3 standard high pressure burners with a 0-30 psi reg. They provide more than enough heat. I got the orifices here. They allow you to hard plumb the burners. I direct-fire + recirculate the mash and use a single pump just like your sketch. If you get a good recirculation with low heat you won't scorch the wort/grain. I also use brass QDs from mcmaster. See this thread for details.

Cheers. :mug:

I have a nearly identical setup -- and love it! Here's a thread on the build, and another thread with pics of it in use. I use 3 standard high pressure burners with a 0-30 psi reg. They provide more than enough heat. I got the orifices here. They allow you to hard plumb the burners. I direct-fire + recirculate the mash and use a single pump just like your sketch. If you get a good recirculation with low heat you won't scorch the wort/grain. I also use brass QDs from mcmaster. See this thread for details.

Cheers. :mug:

Sweet, thank man!

TMH

I got my three kegs yesterday! I will now begin to cut the tops out of them. I am thinking though that I will make a cut about four inches long or so in four different places in top, then I will TIG some SS washers to the TOP so they will be a make shift stopper so that I can use the scrap piece as a lid. This should be a very intresting project. I will keep you posted on how it goes.

TMH

I got my three kegs yesterday! I will now begin to cut the tops out of them. I am thinking though that I will make a cut about four inches long or so in four different places in top, then I will TIG some SS washers to the TOP so they will be a make shift stopper so that I can use the scrap piece as a lid. This should be a very intresting project. I will keep you posted on how it goes.

TMH

I think several people have done exactly that. I wish I had saved mine. Oh well.

I'm glad I held onto mine. I'm gonna take them to a welder and get the some custom work done hopefully.

I think I'll get the coupler removed and welded to a Soda keg like a bunch of other one I've got.

Soak in a solution of Hydrogen Peroxide and Vinegar for a few minutes and then rinse. It will remove the surface lead from the brass.

As far as the design goes, that about what I want to start building pretty soon. Eventually I'm going to want two pumps so that I can fly sparge into the mash tun and pump the wort into the boil kettle at the same time. The single pump will work great for batch sparging.

Latest posts

Back