• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Wanted to buy Firkin or Pin keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ntertell

Reaction score
I am looking for a firkin (10.8 gallon) or pin (5.4 gallon) keg such as in the attached picture, to be used with an English beer engine for cask ale. I am not interested in Hoff-Stevens kegs.

firkin.jpg

to save money on Northern Brewer's prices you can order them directly from Geemacher. I just got one of these... It looks great... Going to put a beer in it in 2 weeks... so we'll see :D

Go to Norther Brewer. They have both. Find it here. I have the Pin version conditioning right now with an English Pale Ale.

hey Dr, What kind of shive are you using in your pin? I tried the plastic ones from NB and it was a complete mess.. Their wooden ones were fine though.. Couldn't get the plastic one fully sealed.

to save money on Northern Brewer's prices you can order them directly from Geemacher. I just got one of these... It looks great... Going to put a beer in it in 2 weeks... so we'll see :D

That's what I did. Then I ordered my keystone and shive bungs along with a cask widge from UK Brewing Supply. I just used my setup this past Saturday for a party and it was awesome.

there is 2 of them for sale by me for sale i found them when looking for kegs to make a new brewing set up i can get the prices if you would like.

mxman, thanks for the pictures. those are golden gate kegs. i appreciate you being on the lookout, but i'm not interested in those. thanks again

hey Dr, What kind of shive are you using in your pin? I tried the plastic ones from NB and it was a complete mess.. Their wooden ones were fine though.. Couldn't get the plastic one fully sealed.

I am using the plastic one this time. It's working fine. I didn't open it full port, just a 1/16 of a turn.

What are you referring to as the top? There is the hole on the keg midline that's the big hole and there's the small hole on the end (in most casks). There are some I think that are the opposite of that though, I saw one in a Northern brewer video on casks. Eitherway you need shive bungs and keystone bungs. The keystone bung is where the tap goes, the shive bung is where the venting is performed. Or you can get a cask widge and the keystone bung does everything for you and you just leave the shive bung alone.

If/when you buy bungs I'd order from UK Brewing Supply. Tell him what cask you have and he will tell you what bungs you need. I have a Geemacher pin and he advised that I needed two piece plastic bungs.

What are you referring to as the top? There is the hole on the keg midline that's the big hole and there's the small hole on the end (in most casks). There are some I think that are the opposite of that though, I saw one in a Northern brewer video on casks. Eitherway you need shive bungs and keystone bungs. The keystone bung is where the tap goes, the shive bung is where the venting is performed. Or you can get a cask widge and the keystone bung does everything for you and you just leave the shive bung alone.

If/when you buy bungs I'd order from UK Brewing Supply. Tell him what cask you have and he will tell you what bungs you need. I have a Geemacher pin and he advised that I needed two piece plastic bungs.

Yeah, I have all of that (actually, been running a beer engine from my cellar for a bit). I was asking what he meant by a 1/16 of a turn.

Neither pin I have will allow the northern brewer plastic shove bung to fully seat. I was wondering if anyone else had that problem or I was just "special" :) I am using a wooden bung now, and it is fine, but I would rather use the plastic for the ability to sanitize.

Well what company's cask do you have? If you have a Geemacher Northern Brewer doesn't sell the best fitting bungs. I have a two piece plastic shive bung that has a red plastic ring that folds back as its hammered into the keg.

Well what company's cask do you have? If you have a Geemacher Northern Brewer doesn't sell the best fitting bungs. I have a two piece plastic shive bung that has a red plastic ring that folds back as its hammered into the keg.

I have a pin from Northern Brewer and a pin from UK Brewing (not sure of the manufacturer name.

Where did you get the shive bung you use?

Well if I'm not mistaken if the pin from Northern Brewer is the one pictured on their site that's a Geemacher (I bought mine direct from Geemacher). The shive bung hole is just slightly smaller or larger I'm not sure. All I do know is that my bungs fit perfectly. I will take a picture of it tonight or tomorrow.

Well if I'm not mistaken if the pin from Northern Brewer is the one pictured on their site that's a Geemacher (I bought mine direct from Geemacher). The shive bung hole is just slightly smaller or larger I'm not sure. All I do know is that my bungs fit perfectly. I will take a picture of it tonight or tomorrow.

where did you get your bungs? From Geemacher directly also?

Not 100% sure what you mean. I am talking about the stopper that goes into the top of the cask.

I am talking about the plastic spile. It has a small rubber stopper on the inside. I turn it just enough to let some of the co2 out. Then I let it sit. I did this 3 times before I "tapped" it and the carbonation was spot on.

I am glad that this topic has come up. After using my Geemacher Pin 2 times with the plastic shive from NB, the last 2 that I have had not held carbonation and I can only figure that it is leaking CO2 from the shive.

I just ordered some wood ones to give them a whirl. I am glad that I am not going crazy and this has happened to others around here. Has anyone used the wooden ones from NB on their Geemacher Pin?

Thanks
Scott

This was the first time I have used the plastic shive and I didn't have any problems with it. Although, they beer only lasted one evening before the pin was cashed. I used the wooden ones too and they worked perfectly, I just wanted to try something new.

Back