wanted: tips for convincing SWMBO to let me invest in All-grain equipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does she have any hobbies? Maybe give her "permission" to spend an equivalent amount of money on something she enjoys (or, if she's a stay at home mom and you bring in the only income, give her the equivalent amount of cash to spend).

Last year, after my husband bought himself some new toys he surprised me by giving me $400 cash to spend. The only stipulation was that it couldn't be spent on anything we needed, or on anything for the kids, but just on something for me to enjoy. :D I blew it all on stuff for my planted aquarium hobby.

My husband and I don't need "permission" for big purchases, but we do discuss them with each other. I guess neither one of us has ever tried to spend crazy amounts of money we didn't have, so it's never resulted in either of us denying "permission."

If you're getting eye-rolls and stinkeyes when the subject comes up, it seems to me you lost the initiative early. :smack:

I'm fortunate that my wife is downright excited about my brewing; it probably helped that when we met I had been brewing for years, and she knew that beer came along if she wanted me around.

If she sees your brewing as frivolous or stupid, or maybe just a PITA for her, or something you're likely to "get over" quickly, then gently disabusing her of that idea might help her understand. If her concerns are budgetary, and she has a point, then obviously that needs addressing, too. Maybe she's so tied up by kids and other things that she's jealous of you getting a hobby when she doesn't feel like she's got any time for herself. Best to talk that out.

If she's just being a pain, and trying to control you or keep you down, destitute and domesticated (been there, done that, had the divorce, found a better model), then Revvy's "locate your testicles" advice comes most fully into play. :rockin: :D

-Rich

If you're getting eye-rolls and stinkeyes when the subject comes up, it seems to me you lost the initiative early. :smack:

I'm fortunate that my wife is downright excited about my brewing; it probably helped that when we met I had been brewing for years, and she knew that beer came along if she wanted me around.

If she sees your brewing as frivolous or stupid, or maybe just a PITA for her, or something you're likely to "get over" quickly, then gently disabusing her of that idea might help her understand. If her concerns are budgetary, and she has a point, then obviously that needs addressing, too. Maybe she's so tied up by kids and other things that she's jealous of you getting a hobby when she doesn't feel like she's got any time for herself. Best to talk that out.

If she's just being a pain, and trying to control you or keep you down, destitute and domesticated (been there, done that, had the divorce, found a better model), then Revvy's "locate your testicles" advice comes most fully into play. :rockin: :D

-Rich

Definitely not trying to keep me down or control me. (Also been there, done that, got the divorce and found a much better model :rockin: ) its mainly budgetary. Where the little disposable income should go. What's fair to everybody. As for my "testicles" and the be a man comments, I hope that they aren't suggesting that being a man means doing whatever you want whenever you want. But that said, I have great news A bargain has been struck. It will take a until May but thanks in part to this thread and this community I am now well on my way to a guilt-free AG setup. :rockin: Now to spend the next two months planning and perusing the DIY section!

My mantra - its easier to beg for forgiveness then ask for permission

I find if you're making a large purchase that it is easy to purchase it in bits and pieces to avoid sticker shock. Instead of ordering all the components of your all-grain system at once, try ordering one or two components every other week. That way your wife doesn't seem a $200 - $300 charge and flip on you. I would also suggest that going all grain can be done relatively inexpensively so long as you're not concerned about shiny stainless pieces. Invest that money in temperature control and you'll be much better off.

But that said, I have great news A bargain has been struck. It will take a until May but thanks in part to this thread and this community I am now well on my way to a guilt-free AG setup. :rockin: Now to spend the next two months planning and perusing the DIY section!

Hail and well met, sir. Definitely something to be said for getting the current going in the direction you want to swim. :ban:

-Rich

tips
1. don't call it an investment
2. start with biab
3. ask her what she thinks about the purchase
4. if she says, no way, what the hell, etc, then either you're broke and you have a track record of wasting money or you have relationship issues

Latest posts

Back