Wanted spruce essence, but got spruce beer extract. Is there a difference?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheTimotin

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am making my first porter, and found a recipe I like that called for a bit of spruce essence to add to the boil. I went down to my LHBS with my list of everything I needed and didn't realize until I got home that they gave me spruce beer concentrated extract instead of spruce essence. It came with a bunch of directions to make a spruce soda, but says nothing about using it with beer.

Can I use this in my beer or will it give me a completely different profile than the essence would have? The bottle smells like root beer, so I am already concerned. Thanks guys! :confused:

--
Tim

Hi Tim - I don't know, because I've never seen the extract that you bought, but I would trust your nose. If it doesn't smell like what you want to add to your beer, don't.

I bought some type of spruce flavoring years ago. It was milky looking and came in something like a 2 oz bottle. Does that sound like what you got?

Here is a link to a picture of what I got from the shop. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001D6DRFU/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

This stuff is in a two ounce bottle, but it is very dark, not milky. On the bottle itself it says it is Spruce Beer Soda Pop Base.

The more I smell it, the more I like it, but I'm still not sure if I should put it in the boil like the recipe calls for, or add it to the fermenter, or even just add it at bottling.

I would love to use fresh tips, but I have always been told that the new spring growth is the best to use, and I don't have any spruce trees readily available without a bit of a drive.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is what I had:

spruce-essence-2-oz.jpg

It smells like Aveeno anti-itch lotion and it goes a long way.

Does yours list the ingredients? I couldn't find what the difference is in the two.

Does it list the ingredients?

I'm a stickler about not putting anything artificial in me beer. If it's a true extract there shouldn't be much more in it other than alcohol and the spruce. I recognize the box, I've seen some of their other flavorings at my local shop. But I don't recall anything being a pure extract.

As mentioned you could just add some actual spruce tips.

Just an FYI though, keep spruce beer away from anyone that could possibly potentially be pregnant. Not that they should be having any dealings with alcohol.

A while back while looking up some specific info about spruce beer and teas. I found someone mentioning it's abortive properties with expectant cows that happened to nibble on spruce. Who knows how many species it may affect like that, or the exact amount, though it's better safe than sorry.

I think I'm just going to forgo this stuff in my beer just to be safe and brew this recipe again in the spring with some fresh spruce. Thanks for your insight guys! I appreciate it!

--
Tim

The new growth in the spring is just a little extra green and not woody. In your area it should start growth in April-may. I have plenty here ( I do landscaping) I can send you some if you want to do your batch now.

JRems, we brewing this tomorrow, or else I would definitely take you up on the offer. I really appreciate it though. If I come across a new recipe that I need it in before I can get some myself though, I will be sending you a message! It's really nice to be a part of community that is so eager to help each other out!

Back