Want to Make sure this is normal.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD1999

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,
So I made my first brew a week ago. Checked the gravity today. SG was 1.4. Now it is at 1.2. So it is fermenting well. I tasted the beer that I took out for a gravity reading just to see how it tasted. It was bitter. I just want to make sure this is normal. What should a fermenting beer taste like? I will say it smelled like beer! The batch definitely is not infected!:) So I am really happy about that! But I just want to make sure I am on the correct track.
Thanks Everyone!

Like the person prior commented, it depends on what kind of beer it is. I wouldn't be concerned, though. My first IPA took two months in the bottle to mellow out.

My IPA tasted fairly bad in the bucket and before bottling... Don't stress sure it will be great

A fermenting beer doesn't taste all that great. If it did, we wouldn't bother letting it finish. You're on the right track. Leave it alone!

Latest posts

Back