Want to get off the stove - in an apartment...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sounds

Reaction score
Still just doing extracts and plan to continue that until we get our own place.

I'm pretty much ruining our stove in our apartment and I'm only doing partial boils. The lack of room to let heat escape destroyed the catch pan(no big deal) and started turning the white paint coating brown around the pan edge from the heat(big deal). Would love to get brewing off there and do full boils. We live on the 3rd floor so unfortunately don't have an option for a garage. So electric is my only option unless I brew at a friends place which would be a pain.

If I go the heat stick route has anyone mounted one "permanently" in a brew kettle? I have access to excellent welding resources(few friends with 30-40 years experience who weld SS/Alum daily) who could probably weld in a holder/bung/whatever you want to call it. Only one GFI socket(120v) I know of which the stove is plugged into and I could use to run a heat stick or maybe 2(haven't looked to see how many amps, would guess it's reasonably high if the stove is using it). Could 1 heat stick off of a 120v even bring it to a boil?

So ??? :drunk:

I malt in a 5 gallon gott with false bottom. I boil in a 10 gallon aluminum pot on an electric stove. I primary ferment in a HDPE plastic bucket. And I secondary in a glass carboy for ales and a keg for lagers. Other then the new malt setup this is the same thing I have used for years (well ok I have bought a few new buckets now and then)

Really you can do this on an electric stove. It just takes longer to get it to a boil.

I malt in a 5 gallon gott with false bottom. I boil in a 10 gallon aluminum pot on an electric stove. I primary ferment in a HDPE plastic bucket. And I secondary in a glass carboy for ales and a keg for lagers. Other then the new malt setup this is the same thing I have used for years (well ok I have bought a few new buckets now and then)

Really you can do this on an electric stove. It just takes longer to get it to a boil.

I know I can, but like I said it's ruining the stove...

This was recently featured in BYO magazine...it may fit your bill, but you will be limited to small batch 2.5-3 gallon batches.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/countertop-brutus-20-a-131411/

Thanks much Revvy, I'd head over to a friends before i did 3 gallon batches. I guess I need to find out how many amps the stove outlet is running to see if I could run more than 1 off it. I wouldn't need the MLT and all that since I plan on continuing extracts(for now) but that is a pretty awesome countertop setup!

Stoves are usually 220v. If you have that much juice its more complicated than just plugging it in. Do your research on this site and you will find plenty of info to complete your build. FYI-Having access to friends with that kind of experience is brewing GOLD!!!

Back