Want to build a heatstick - Totally confused by power issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bopgun23

Reaction score
Hiya folks!

I'm looking at building a heatstick like exampled here, here and here.

I understand the instructions well enough but...

I'd like to use one of the bigger Camco 240v elements like shown here.

I want to use the power plug for my electric stove, which is a 125/250v 50a 3-prong plug like this. I'm guessing that one of the prongs is 250v, the other 125v, and then one neutral? I've looked for info about this but had little luck, my electrical knowledge is pretty scant.

Based on info in CodeRage's Electrical Primer for Brewers, a 240v heatstick would use one 120v line attached to each terminal. So...

Could I attach one terminal of the heatstick to the 250v line and one to the neutral? Or one to the 250v line and one to the 125v line? Would I explode?

Also, this type of plug doesn't have a GFCI capability to the best of my understanding. So even if its feasible, is there anyway to make it safe?

I'd appreciate any guidance! I don't want to kill myself :D

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well just to clear up a little misunderstanding. The 125/250 volt means that the plug is rated for either 125 or 250 volts. That just describes the plug not how it is wired. You will have 120v (or there about)on each of two prongs on your stove outlet.
The most common way to add gfi protection to a 220v circuit is at the breaker.

Not to be an A -hole but if have to ask this you may want to just stick with propane or have someone come out and wire it for you who has more knowledge. Seriously, you can easily kill yourself working with this around water and it's not worth it.
I worked for an electrical contractor for a few summers and will tackle most household electrical jobs but a 240 line submerged in water? Nah.

You can do the old toaster in the bathtub trick with 120v just fine. Plus in some places 220v is all they have.
I wanted to make a 220 v heatstick but don't know how a gfi circuit will work with my welders. I don't have any more space in my shop electrical panel or I would add a circuit.
And going by the amount of folk with heatstickts that trip the gfi I don't want to do it without gfi.

I too have stayed away from the 240v heatstick. Here's why.

1) Couldn't find the parts. You'd have to go to an electrical supply house to find a 40 amp double pole gfci breaker, and they're not cheap. $75 at least.

2) I didn't in the end see the point unless you are keggle mounting. If you make two or three 2000 watt 120 heat sticks it's more than enough power. I made three and it's plenty. Plus they're all the same and I can move them around to different vessels easily.

I would also advise wiring it to a box with a receptacle and a switch. I like being able to turn each stick on or off from the box.

Heat sticks are great, though. I love mine and they really do work great.

I do really well with two 2000 watt heatsticks. So well, I made two more.

Now, I have two sticks for the boil, and two for the HLT. Sure, I could swap them, but I don't HAVE to swap them.

Plus, I have backups now.

If you still want to use the 220v, you can get 220v power cords with a GFCI built into the cord. Check ebay, and they show up for sale in the classifieds here sometimes.

Just want to make one point about the comment about the 40 amp double pole gfci breaker being $75. This is no where to skimp in costs. We all spend $35-$40 for 5 gallons of beer without batting an eye, why would you not be willing to spend $75 to protect your life. If you're going to build it, build it right. Especially when dealing with something that can kill you.

Just want to make one point about the comment about the 40 amp double pole gfci breaker being $75. This is no where to skimp in costs. We all spend $35-$40 for 5 gallons of beer without batting an eye, why would you not be willing to spend $75 to protect your life. If you're going to build it, build it right. Especially when dealing with something that can kill you.

Good point. My intention was only to point out that I chose to use gfci receptacles, not skip gfci. I also wanted to save him some time as I wasted a fair amount of my time looking through Lowes and HD for 240v gfci receptacles and 40 amp 240v gfci breakers. Couldn't find either.

Isn't it a PITA to clean and stir with those sticks sticking up?

For cleaning, I just remove them. For stirring, I just stir with them if needed. I don't whirlpool, though. So they don't get in my way in either case!

Back