Walk in Cooler or Fermentation Chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mellman

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello all,

Working on a few projects around the home brewery and I am wanting some better fermentation control. I have a basement that has relatively friendly temperatures, ~68* in the summer and down to ~58 in the winter. That being said I had some very slow fermentations this winter with some ales trying to ferment down at 60.

In any case, I have two areas in my house that I can build into some sort of finished room for fermentation. One in the basement, the other in the garage - its a small 'hallway' off the back of the garage.

I feel like a fermentation room would need minimal temperature control using a mini fridge or something along those lines and could be maintained for ales (moderate heating/cooling of the room) whereas for lagers i'd just need a glycol jacket on the conicals. I also think this option is extremely simple to implement since it'd just be putting a door up and using some insulation.

The other option is a walk in cooler. Probably would utilize the A/C unit type of cooling design. This is problematic for the basement I would think, as the back of the AC unit would still be inside the basement, so not necessarily attractive. In the garage it would be outside. The problem I see here is to do ales I'd need a method of heating conicals/carboys. Those heat wrap pads aren't cheap.

I have the capabilities, no WAF to deal with as I'm single. Just not sure which route is the best route. Those of you who have a walk in cooler, are you using it for fermentation or only storage?

The fun option is to just do both! :ban:

AC unit idea is the better one since I am guessing you were just thinking of using the evaporator coils in the fridge to cool with the door open. Remember that all refrigeration or AC does is remove heat from an area and transfer it somewhere outside of what is being cooled. I would go with the back hall idea. Get a couple 2x4s, some 4x8 sheets of foam board, some hvac foil tape, and a small window unit AC and go from there. Oh and a small temperature controlled electrical space heater would work for heating.

Back