Wal Mart Turkey Fryer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acfixr

Reaction score
In my search for a 20+ qt pot, I came across a turkey fryer kit at Wal Mart. I think it is a knock off of the Bayou Classic. The problem I have is that it will not stay lit. Being a total noob, did I just put down 40 bucks for an aluminum pot and a bunch of scrap metal?

Also, it has a 20 minute timer. Can I just plug the gas hose straight to the burner and bypass the burner?

Thanks.

You need to open the valve on the propane tank slowly so the safety valve does not kick in. I suspect that is the problem.

I have the same fryer.

Tape the knob down in its fully wound position and zip-tie the button on top down.

My burner would only stay lit on one side. I took the cap out of the middle of it and there was a ton of flash obstructing the gas flow. A few minutes with a Dremel/tungsten carbide cutter and it's perfect.

The burner will bring 15 gal to a rolling boil. Took about an hour without a lid; temp outside was 25 degrees.

The turkey fryer I got from Walmart last year had a button safety device too. I used a bungie cord to hold it down and it was never a problem again. The stand was a piece of junk though. The fire would practically cook the stand while I was brewing.

Thanks BenDover and bdnoona! Tape applied and zip ties zipped! Yup, removed a bunch of flash as well.

Ok, so my next question is: is it ok for the flame to hit the bottom of the pot, or do I need to keep the flame just below the pot? I know, go look it up, and I'm gonna. Just thought I would ask.

Same Fryer and same problem. I actually stopped using the entire unit. The pot discolored and the burner was very bad. it wasn't a clean burn.

I bought another one, i use the pot as a place to keep my chiller and the stand/burner sits and rusts.

Back