Wading in the shallow end of the pool

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biogrove

Reaction score
Just what I need another website for my wife to be disgusted at me for wasting time with.

Hey out there - just getting started. Bottled my 1st 5 gallon batch yesterday.(Midwest's - Autumn Amber Ale) tastes good, hope the bottles like it too.

I love to cook and one of my kids gave me a kit for Christmas a year ago. I didn't brew it up for a little over 12 months. Lo and behold the yeast was still viable (Muntons Dry). Batch #1 was a 1 gal mash kit from Brooklyn Brew Shop. Everyday IPA I made a few beginners mistakes (pressing on the grains during sparge, etc.) and yes it is a bit astringent but I had added some Clementine rind and a bit of Black Strap molasses before pitching, which imparted a bit of good flavor and added some additional fermentables and it is actually quite drinkable. I only got 10 bottles out of that though so I found somebody local with a new bucket kit with the Amber Ale ingredients on Craigslist (unwanted Christmas gift) and I'm off to the races.

Batch #3 is still chewing away in primary. Java Stout - Midwest (still in a bucket) I'm planning on getting a 6 gallon glass for my primary (Austin's Weekend sale?) I've got two 5 gallon glass carboys for secondary.

I am undoubtedly going to have many questions as time goes on and a friend suggested this site as a place to visit for answers/discussion. During my initial WORK of collecting enough bottles to use, I did a concerted "tour de craft brew" and have noticed a wide variety of difference in Mouthfeel and balance amongst different brewers and beer types. I had never really thought about this aspect of beer before and wanted to ask what I should be paying attention to, to learn more about hop balance and mouthfeel. I hope to venture into some custom recipes before too long. But for now I'm having a blast doing the "Brew by Number" of other peoples tried-and-true brew kits.

Anyway, as you can see I need to learn to "self edit" better. I'll mostly lurk but wanted to say Hey to y'all and thank you in advance for any assistance this community will lend to my efforts and learning curve.

Welcome! There is nothing wrong with using kits if they are fresh. But if you are enjoying learning more, then just pay attention to the details and keep asking "WHY?" And before long you will be doing All Grain brewing and worrying about mash pH and oxidation during bottling, etc. If you ever get stuck, or simply want to know more, don't worry, there is always an answer (or several) to be found here!

Welcome aboard, there is a lot of great information on this site.
I suggest you read this: http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Joy-Homebrewing-Third/dp/0060531053/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1360674567&sr=1-1&keywords=the+complete+joy+of+homebrewing (I have no affiliation with Amazon, just happens to be where I buy books)

Great book about home brewing, not meant to be read cover to cover, more of an "as needed" basis depending on where you are (extract, partial mash, all grain) also has great info about assembling a recipe, and what specific grains/adjuncts will do to a brew.

I also suggest you check out http://hopville.com/ great resource for recipe generation and user generated recipe examples, most include good notes as well.

Enjoy your brewing, the first three steps to a successful brew are sanitation, sanitation and sanitation.

Last edited by a moderator:
I BIAB and make serious errors depending on who you talk to. For example I rinse my bag 3 or sometimes 4 times and I definitely squeeze it once it has finished drip drying. Partially for the sake of cheapness, partially to stop it dripping while I carry it out to the bin to empty.

I'm of the opinion that 'over sparging' is basically a non issue as long as you aren't working hard to extract wort below 1.010 though you could compensate in the boil or with extract without I feel too much of a problem as long as you are aware of temperature and pH. If the pH raises you risk tannin extraction and if the temperature of the sparge water is too high ditto. I treat my 2nd and 3rd sparge waters with scant amounts of lactic acid solution to lower the pH a little and ensure I keep the water below 170F.

Sometimes even I batch spage with the entire boil volume, hasn't been a problem despite what some say.

Latest posts

Back