VR8200 Pilot Wont Stay Lit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

splobucket

Reaction score
I think I've done my due diligence. I've scoured the forums and I dont think this is a repeat topic. I'm using the Honeywell VR8200 on my brew rig. I've got a high pressure regulator off my tank to a low pressure regulator and then the gas valve.

I press the pilot button down multiple times before i get gas flow. When I do I have to light it 10-20 times before I get the flame to hold. After that, usually I'm ok, but today the burner kicked off a few times and I had to go through the process 2 or 3 more times before it finally held.

Any ideas?

Either you have a bad thermocouple, dirty pilot flame or your pilot flame isn't hitting the thermocouple in the correct spot to create enough power to hold the magnet in the valve open.

Have a pic of the pilot lit?

I think I've done my due diligence. I've scoured the forums and I dont think this is a repeat topic. I'm using the Honeywell VR8200 on my brew rig. I've got a high pressure regulator off my tank to a low pressure regulator and then the gas valve.

I press the pilot button down multiple times before i get gas flow. When I do I have to light it 10-20 times before I get the flame to hold. After that, usually I'm ok, but today the burner kicked off a few times and I had to go through the process 2 or 3 more times before it finally held.

Any ideas?

If you have a large gas manifold or long gas line you can have the problem you described. It takes a long time to purge the air out.
I see the same problem with my standing pilot gas valve every time I connect the tank. My intermittent gas valves are a joy, they don't require pushing any button down.

You could install a purge valve at the end of the run to speed things up.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Any ideas?
This can be caused by multiple issues. Please post pictures of your regulators, gas manifold pilot when lit and your gas valve. I fix kitchen equipment for a living and can most likely resolve your issue with these few pictures or even better a video of you trying to light the pilot along with the regulators and manifold.

Back