Voss Kveik haze in non hazy beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kwitty

Reaction score
I make a pale ale and a cream ale on a regular basis. I usually always use wlp001. I figured it would be a good first couple batches to test since I know the beers. I fermented on a table with a brew belt and a sweatshirt on the carboys. Temp started at about 75f and ramped up to about 90f. I let them go 4 days, 1 day past active ferment. They then sat for 2 more days without heat and dropped to about 70f. I started to cold crash 2 days ago and there is a haze that isn't dropping out. I've never had this issue with wlp001 so I'm assuming it's the yeast. However I thought Voss was supposed to be a hard floculator? Any thoughts?

Both my Voss and Hornindal beers were very hazy. There's some unknown factor affecting flocculation for these strains.

I read a few other forums where people talk about a haze but gloss right over it. Then nobody says anything about of it. As many times as I've seen someone mention it I would have thought the answer easy to find.

My experience with Voss is just the opposite. when I shut off the stir plate it settles to the bottom in 30-60 seconds. I'm not kidding, it drops out and is clear at day 5 in an 86* fermentation. Hornindal on the other hand takes awhile to clear and i treat it like a lager and am drinking clear beers 6-8 weeks grain to glass. I have Omega brands and do over build starters and have been using the same yeast for a year this spring. I've also dried both with great success.

The same with my starter! For whatever reason the ferment didn't have the same result. Seems a little better after using gelatine. The true test will be in the glass. Should know in a few days.

Worth pointing out that not all "Voss" are the same - different suppliers will have different versions of it, which may vary in their flocculation.

I’ve also experienced voss floccing much more than a24 in my NEIPAs. My question to you is it is the same time frame for the Voss and you 001? And is it exactly the same recipe, water profile, and hop timings?

Back