Volume ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamming

Reaction score
Everywhere I read people talk about 5 gallon batch or 10 why not 7 gallons ? Does it have to be standard. Because of recipes or ?

Everywhere I read people talk about 5 gallon batch or 10 why not 7 gallons ? Does it have to be standard. Because of recipes or ?

most carboys or fermenting buckets will hold a 5 gallon batch. Other than that there is no reason you could not adjust a recipe to do 7 gallons,

Cornelius kegs(and most other kegs) that homebrewers use hold 5 gallons. I brew 10 gallon or 15 gallon batches because I keg all my beers.
Carboys and buckets actually hold 6.5 or 7 gallons of fluid, but if you brew 5 gallon batches that leaves room for the krausen so that you don't have a huge mess.

I also have kegs. is doing 10 gallons just a matter of doubling the recipe. I just purchased three legal kegs and have everything to do my first ag attempt this weekend.

You can do any volume you like. Just scale the recipe.

I often do 4 gallon batches because I have a couple of carboys that I very rarely use, since I just leave most of my brews in the primary for the full tile. Doing 4 gallon batches is a good way to put them to use.

I mess with volumes all the time. I scale 5-gal recipes to 3, (so I can leave .25 gals of gunk in the kettle and .25 gals of trub in the fermenter and get 2.5 gals of good clean beer.) If I'm lagering something, I'll make sure to wind up with appx 3.25 gals final volume so it'll minimize the headspace in my 3ish gal lagering vessel.

Everything scales, and you can scale any recipe to whatever volume you'd like!

Many kitchen stoves are hard pressed to boil the larger volumes. I generally boil 3.5 gallons in my 7 gallon pot, , which leaves 3 gallons after boil off, the top; off to 5 gallons batch size.

The reason 5 gallons is the "standard" batch size for homebrewers is really simple.

5 gallons = 2 cases of beer.

But like other's have said, you can brew any size batches. Though the reson 2.5 gallons and 10 gallons are popular sizes is that you simply have to double the recipe in the case of a 10 gallon batch, or cut the recipe in half for a 2.5 gallon. It's just easy to do it that way.

Yeah you can brew 7 but unless you use the scaling feature in brewing software you have do the math on your own...

I change my volume all the time. Lately I've been brewing larger batches, like 6.5 because my BK is a keggle and I can use a mid-gravity wort for canning start wort, or just to save some wort in a 1 gallon jug for experimenting with.

So yeah, just adjust your volume as you need.

Back