Volume change

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tedscastle

Reaction score
Today I was very pleased brewing since everything was going as planned. That was until I chilled the wort and the the volume increased by 1/2 gallon. I could have sworn that it was at 5.5 gal. when it finished boiling, but it was 6 after cooling. Is that supposed to happen or did someone sneak extra water into the pot?

I had a loose hose on my IC once, it leaked about half gallon into my wort. Turned out just fine.

I got 52 12 ounce bottles out of a 5.25 gallon primary of a blonde that went over 8 lbs of strawberries. I don't filter my trub so I was presently surprised to end up with that much at bottling time.

I took both measurements with my paddle, so I will check my chiller for leaks. At least I will have more beer.

Sorry if this is a stupid question but you did take the chiller out before measuring final volume, right?

I'd think you would notice a hose leaking so badly it dripped a whole 1/2 gallon extra into your wort. I assume tg meant the hose came loose and sprayed all that in at once?

I'm sure this is not the case but, have you changed your pot size? If so the calibrations on your paddle wouldn't be right. :drunk: But that wouldn't change the amount post boil to cooled would it? :drunk:

I have to think more before I post a reply. but>:drunk:

Revvy said:
I would check for leaks on your chiller, either a crack in the copper or the connections where the hose goes.

It was indeed the hose connection on the chiller. A small but steady stream was running down the back side of the tubing. I'm surprised that I didn't notice it, but i guess the wort moves around some due to the settling and temperature change.

tgmartin000 said:
I had a loose hose on my IC once, it leaked about half gallon into my wort. Turned out just fine.

Exactly what happened and I've had much bigger problems tat turned out ok. Who would complain about 1/2 gal of extra beer?

Back