Vodka or gin martinis?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vodka or Gin?

• Vodka

• Gin

• Gross

Results are only viewable after voting.
Some good Bombay Sapphire GIN over ice...and keep the vermouth at least ten feet away! Garnish with bleu cheese-stuffed olives. Now, THAT is a good martini!

glenn514 :mug:

Some good Bombay Sapphire GIN over ice...and keep the vermouth at least ten feet away! Garnish with bleu cheese-stuffed olives. Now, THAT is a good martini!

Oh, my. You just made me very very thirsty. It's 8 AM though, and WAY too early for a martini.

Oh, wait. I'm retired! But I only have Beefeater and Tangeray right now. Hmmm.

Sorry, I was commenting on liquor in general. In the debate at hand, gin. Vodka is boring, by legal definition.

Title 27, Sec. 5.22
(1) “Vodka” is neutral spirits so distilled, or so treated after distillation with charcoal or other materials, as to be without distinctive character, aroma, taste, or color.

Which is the point. It is a neutral spirit. meant to provide the kick and nothing else.

Oh, my. You just made me very very thirsty. It's 8 AM though, and WAY too early for a martini.

Oh, wait. I'm retired! But I only have Beefeater and Tangeray right now. Hmmm.

I've never been one to follow this "rule". Same with food. If I feel like eating a rack of ribs for breakfast so be it, my stomach doesn't care what time it is. And food doesn't know whether it's breakfast, lunch, or dinner.

+1. Vodka in a martini glass is not a martini.

Pretty much this.

Call me low-class, but to my mind, Beefeater makes the best martinis.

Oh, I prefer a twist rather than an olive. But this is just because I don't like olives.

Greylock Gin, local craft distillery
"five parts gin and a quick glance at a bottle of vermouth"

Fill a glass with Gin, set the gin bottle down in front of the vermouth and top the glass off with Green Olive juice and a few olives.

Yes

Brown Martinis?

Key lime martinis??? Gin and tonic with a lime rules for me.

more Yes

Gin and it's gotta be Hendricks!

Sapphire, Hendricks, both excellent gins!
(if you think Sapphire is sporty, double down for the Hendricks...)

I like my glass rinsed with Vermouth, Then filled with Grey Goose, some olive juice and 2 spears of green olives aka "Extra Dirty Goose". I have about 4 a year, if that many.

I'm convinced that the devil invented gin. Gin is the only alcohol that I ever drank that made me forget one half of a whole day. I still can't stomach the thought of trying it again. I do love a good dirty vodka martini and usually have one every night during the summer.

I laughed when I realized I was the only person that voted "gross".

I used to think this too. But, I love the juniper flavor in Gin (I prefer Seagrams Dry as the juniper is more pronounced) and I love green olives.

Turns out it was the vermouth that turned me off of Martini. Not sure what Gin with Olive juice really is but it's close enough to a Martini for me.

Most of the places that I have ordered a martini put a splash of vermouth in the glass just to coat it and then they dump it. I actually like a little vermouth in my martini. I was on a cruise ship last year that had a frozen martini bar. The bar kept the drink ice cold.

I used to think this too. But, I love the juniper flavor in Gin (I prefer Seagrams Dry as the juniper is more pronounced) and I love green olives.

Could try Genever then. It's the original Dutch version of gin, it has only juniper. None of the other spices.

Could try Genever then. It's the original Dutch version of gin, it has only juniper. None of the other spices.

Genever. Thanks. I will definitely try it.

I have tried a few others but they are all so spiced they taste like hair tonic to me. Seagrams slaps me in the face with juniper.

I am not a bit martini fan. However, I do find the "extra dry martini" thing laughable. 99% of people I have ever met and drank with would much prefer a properly made martini with a good portion of a quality vermouth in a vodka martini and 1/3 part in a gin martini.

That said, martinis are no where near my cocktail list. I haven't made one in ages.

i am not a bit martini fan. However, i do find the "extra dry martini" thing laughable. 99% of people i have ever met and drank with would much prefer a properly made martini with a good portion of a quality vermouth in a vodka martini and 1/3 part in a gin martini.

+. 1.

Back