Virgin Mistake - Bomber Bottle Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is my first homebrew and I am on day 4. I fermented in my bottling bucket thinking it would be easier... my thoughts were 2-3 weeks fermenting and all my yeast cake and sediment from my brew would settle to the bottom maybe the first bottle would fill with some trub but the rest would fill rather clear. But now what do I do about my bottling carb I wanted to use the corn sugar that came with my northern brewer kit but if I mix I would have all the sediment and yeast cake mixed back in... or have to rack into another bucket and buy an extra bucket with another spigot... I don't want to go back and forth between buckets im scared of bacteria and oxidation. So if I just pour sugar into bottles how much per bottle I have 30 22oz bombers thinking I'll only fill about 27-28 based on my 5 gal batch... If not what are alternatives I know fizz tabs are a ***** from what I've heard... I'm pretty short on cash too trying not to spend too much more...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

Well, I think there could be ways to do this using math. If you know how much corn sugar you need and how much water it takes to make a sanitary priming solution, you could just divide the volume by the number of bottles. The trick is you would need a good measuring device.

If I was doing this, I would probably do the math in milliliters and get a kids medicine syringe from the drugstore (they are usually free and measure up to 9 ml). You could then fill you bottls and then squirt the appropriate amount of solution into each bottle then cap. Obviously, there could be a better way, but this would work and it would be cheap if time consuming.

Aww fer cry sake kid. Put the priming sugar into another bucket. Rack onto that then siphon into your bottles. Next time do it right. You will be fine.

Thanks 5 grams of corn sugar?

Lol I'm too worried to rack and don't have the money for siphon bucket and I still have to pick up caps capper and food lol

You could also get the conditioning tabs. Brewers Best and otherS make them and they're probably on hand at your LHBS.

You could also get the conditioning tabs. Brewers Best and otherS make them and they're probably on hand at your LHBS.

But I'm worried I will achieve too much with these... and aren't they quite expensive my closet homebrew shop is 30 minutes away it's a morebeer

Put the priming sugar into another bucket. Rack onto that then siphon into your bottles. Next time do it right. You will be fine.
This is what I would do. Single priming bottles without tabs is hard to get right

why dont you get a home depot bucket (i know not food grade, but its temporary), sanitize it, rack to it, clean your bottling bucket, sanitize that, add priming sugar, fill bottles... if the bucket cost is an issue im sure you can find a brewer here local to that would be willing to let you use theirs. or use the bucket you make sanitizer solution in to temp hold the beer while you clean the bottling bucket

1 oz priming sugar / gallon of beer. Just dissolve the sugar into boiling water, pour into 'unused' bottling bucket, rack beer on top of that with siphon, bottle, done.

I would certainly NOT bottle from the spigot if I were you. There is almost no chance that you will end up with any bottles that aren't lousy with trub. :( If you absolutely can't come up with another bucket, or something else that you could rack into just long enough to clean your bottling bucket. Then you would be much better off to siphon your clear beer off the top of the trub and into the bottles.

Home Depot, Lowes, and most hardware stores sell 5 gallon buckets for around 5 or 6 bucks. Ad in a couple more dollars for 5-6 feet of tubing and your all set up to rack and batch prime. If that is out of your reach at this time, it wouldn't hurt your beer for it to sit on the cake until next pay day.

The risk of infection at this point would be fairly low as well, just pay close attention to your sterilization practices and you should have nothing to worry about.

I think that you will not be at all happy with your beer if you try and do what you are explaining. Good luck with what ever you decide on though. :tank: You made beer! :mug:

why dont you get a home depot bucket (i know not food grade, but its temporary), sanitize it, rack to it, clean your bottling bucket, sanitize that, add priming sugar, fill bottles... if the bucket cost is an issue im sure you can find a brewer here local to that would be willing to let you use theirs. or use the bucket you make sanitizer solution in to temp hold the beer while you clean the bottling bucket

...last bucket I bought was about $2.75.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Homer-Bucket-5-Gal-Orange-Bucket-05GLHD2/100087613

If you decide to break down and buy some food, check and see if your grocery store has a bakery........

Yes?........Ask them nicely:"Hey, you guys happen to have any empty buckets with lids, like your cake frosting comes in?"

Just an example.............They'll give them to you free, or at least my Publix store does.

You're afraid of getting an infection or oxidizing your beer if you rack into another bucket and back, but you are comfortable with sucking the trub and yeast cake into the bottles and the possibility of bottle bombs? Do you really think you'll ever hear this: "Wow! The ones that didn't explode and aren't full of yeast cake are pretty good. Good thing you didn't rack into another bucket and risk an infection."

Brewers Best Conditioning Tabs are cheap. $4.99 at my Brew 'n' Grow. Enough to condition over 60 bottles @ 4 tabs each. That's only 8 cents per bottle. I think you can afford that. It's a good option for your first batch if you are adverse to racking. This time. Next time you should do it right.

Ok everyone an update I decided to go ahead and buy a siphon and a carboy... I racked into a carboy cleaned my bottling bucket and racked back in there with the corn sugar syrup all mixed in also bought a spring loaded bottle filler and bottled this friday. It was easy and not time consuming at all... longest part about bottling was racking it... I just went ahead and did it right thanks for the feedback.

Back