Violent fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NolaMonk

Reaction score
NORTHY 12 BELGIAN QUAD extract kit. i really dont think anymore star san in the airlock LMAO will it be ok

Attachments

• 20180715_091713_Film3.jpg
    20180715_091713_Film3.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 122
  • 20180715_091720_Film3.jpg
    20180715_091720_Film3.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 135
You will be okay as long as the airlock doesn't plug up. The resulting explosion from a plugged air lock can put the krausen on the ceiling. As @parjay said a blow off tube. This what the set up looks like.

Resized468.jpg

What is the temperature of the beer? Quite often an overly aggressive fermentation with high OG beers is from fermenting too hot. this can also cause off flavors that will never age out. You can fill your tub with water to absorb some of the heat produced by the yeast to cool the fermentation a few degrees. You can go a step further with a swamp cooler like this if need be.

resized165.jpg
resized698.JPG

Im drop some frozen water bottles in the tub of water....temp is around 68· my top is popping of with the blow off tube had to run and get one from my LHBS

Some people just jam large tubing right into the bung hole.
I use a little more finesse... a drilled stopper and gently insert a 5/16" tube into that. Lube can help but it's not necessary.
I also always use a blow off because I don't want to have to clean up a hugely messy bung hole and surrounding area.

I use a little more finesse... a drilled stopper and gently insert a 5/16" tube into that. Lube can help but it's not necessary.
I also always use a blow off because I don't want to have to clean up a hugely messy bung hole and surrounding area.

I just jam large tubing into the bunghole.

Had to.

gentle tube insertion with lube does help.

wait what are we talking about here? lmao

Back