Vinyl tubing oily

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beernut70

Reaction score
I have been using 1/4" vinyl tubing from the hardware store for gas line. The last length I got has developed a white residue and feels kind of oily. It seems to come out when the tubing gets cold in the fridge. Anyone know why this is happening or how to get rid of it? The previous line I have are fine.

Are you cleaning them with starsan? Starsan leave an oily feel on the vinyl lines I buy from lowes. I use water to rinse the starsan off ( yes, I know it's designed for no rinse).

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I've experienced this as well. Happened to a piece of vinyl tubing I was using as a blow off tube. I cold crashed the beer for several days and when I took it out the tubing was covered in an oily/milky residue.

I just ended up tossing it, not sure of the exact cause unfortunately.

Edit: I should also note that whatever it was, it didn't have any effect on the beer.

I had the same problem and the lines caused a bad taste in the beer. They were very slimy when cold and nothing would clean it off. I switched to the white plastic water line for a fridge watermaker and the problem is gone.

It's funny cause I have two lines that are good and and only the third line is bad. Does the white waterline fit over a hose barb?

Does anyone have any pictures of the lines? I'm wondering if it's plasticizer leaching from the tubes.

This is from my PC water cooling loop - not the same thing - but this happened after about 9 months of constant exposure to water. It started as just a slight film / cloudiness, and turned into a chalky white appearance. I never touched it to see if it was slimy though. But I would fear any beer that went through those lines...

rXArbLWl.jpg

Replaced the lines with polyurethane tubing. It's good for low temps.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1413768484.983860.jpg

Here is the line I replaced.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1413768545.520424.jpg

Latest posts

Back