Vinegar Smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevo2569

Reaction score
My ferm chamber always smells like vinegar if it's not opened for a week or so. If I leave it open for a couple of days after cleaning it down it goes away but always comes back after being closed for a while. I spray it down with starsan also. Is it stahl CO2, starsan or something else??

Your beer has permeated the plastic and it's hard to get the smell out. Are you planning to use the bucket for anything other than beer? If not, just clean an sanitize it before you use it again.

If you want another smell that permeates the plastic buckets, try sniffing a pickle pail.

RM-MN said:
If you want another smell that permeates the plastic buckets, try sniffing a pickle pail.

Brewed two beers in 5gal pickle bins before. Pickle Hefe and Pickle Wit. Both great with a sandwich jajaja

Maybe I wasn't clear. The fermentation chamber is a chest freezer. The beer nor the buckets smell of vinegar. Just the chamber. But aired out it does not. Its no big deal. I was just wondering if anyone else has this or if anyone knew what was causing it?

Put a box of opened baking soda inside to absorb the odors. Can't tell you specifically why, just how to hopefully get rid of it.

Put a box of opened baking soda inside to absorb the odors. Can't tell you specifically why, just how to hopefully get rid of it.

Ive heard of this and also balled up newspaper could do the trick of absorbing the smell. Good luck!

Freezer chests are not designed to handle moisture and condensation, so it is could be you have a bit of pooled up water in the drain or under the rubber seal. I had a chest that had a sharp smell about it too after using, and would get mold if I left it running for a couple months. I got in to the habit now of cleaning it out with tilex of 409 every few months, and when its not in use I leave it unplugged with the lid up. Other people have invested in small dehumidifiers or a bowl of kitty litter (un-used...) :) . samc had a good point too, a box of baking soda will absorb odor as well as some moisture.

I had my first blowout in my first batch in the ferm chamber. After cleaning it out thoroughly, I sprayed a bit of star5san to kill any nasties and made the mistake of leaving ther starsan in the bottom. Started growing mold on the outside of the fermenter. Now I always make sure the ferm chamber is perfectly dry, and I have a hand towel that I put in the hanging basket after its super dry from the dryer. I feel it occasionally and, if it does not feel super dry, I throw it back in the dryer. The only thing I've needed to do is periodically wipe moisture from the rubber seals on the freezer lid. When I don't have a batch fermenting, I make a habit of leaving the lid open. No smells, but the inside is lined with sheet aluminum, not plastic so I'm not sure if that's why.

Back